Euro 2020

GiantKiller

I think this has the potential to be a good idea, providing it doesn't just go to all the obvious cities London/Milan/Madrid/Moscow ect Not having one particular hosting nation will prevent non footballing nations with a lot of money getting the tournament over nations that will actually be able to fill out the stadiums *cough* FIFA-WC-Qatar *cough* Though there are lots of ways a giant tit like Platini can turn this to his own advantage that only UEFA will benefit from...I shall remain on the fence about the idea till I see any more developments

What? Qatar is a 'non footballing nation' ?

AURELIUS

Qatar has a national team and is pumping plenty of money into sports but the location and climate are not the best for the sport. Similarly no one would want to play a World Cup in Bolivia or Peru.

This whole idea is nonsensical and another snub to footballing traditions sacrificed on the altar of mammon. As usual footballing fans come very low on the list of considerations. Needless to say the environmental impact of all the travel is not being weighed up either.

Why these football bigwigs think it is necessary for every host country to produce shiny new stadia and hotels for their benefit particularly when Europe is in economic turmoil is mind boggling.

B

beautifulgame

Qatar has a national team and is pumping plenty of money into sports but the location and climate are not the best for the sport. Similarly no one would want to play a World Cup in Bolivia or Peru.

This whole idea is nonsensical and another snub to footballing traditions sacrificed on the altar of mammon. As usual footballing fans come very low on the list of considerations. Needless to say the environmental impact of all the travel is not being weighed up either.

Why these football bigwigs think it is necessary for every host country to produce shiny new stadia and hotels for their benefit particularly when Europe is in economic turmoil is mind boggling.

lol environmental concerns?

climate never stopped anyone from playing football before.

Jenks

Probably not, no. The countries with similar climates have an obvious advantage. It may not be as much of a problem in Qatar as people are expecting though, as wasn't there some talk about playing all the games at night?

AURELIUS

I think football could do a lot in terms of greening itself as some clubs are by trapping rainwater for pitch watering and using solar power for powering floodlights. Panathinaikos wouldn't mind having that option right now.

I think climate should come into it. We want to see players at their peak and sometimes with the great humidity and heat it just takes it out of them especially after a long club season.

Perhaps they should switch the WC to a month before the regular club season starts so everyone is fresh.

La Furia

Legion of Doooom
lol environmental concerns?

climate never stopped anyone from playing football before.

Give it a few more years, things are getting worse and I can only imagine the kind of emissions Qatar is going to release to make a comfortable WC.

And actually it has - remember FIFA's awful altitude ban?

But as far as Qatar's climate goes, correct me if I'm wrong but as a desert climate wouldn't nights be relatively cool? I mean considering how absurdly hot that country is during the summer, it's probably still hotter than many places are during the day in the summer, but still.

GiantKiller

Extreme temperatures during summer is arguably the biggest hurdle for a country like Qatar to successfully host a WC. I've been reading about it lately and the plans laid out to eliminate any chance of the climate having a negative influence involve the use of air conditioning systems that'll not only be used in the stadia but also to cool entire neighborhoods for the fans too, apparently. Furthermore, shading techniques will also be used as a 'passive' cooling method.

As we all know by now, there have been calls for having the tournament during the winter but the organizers so far haven't shown any signs of obliging and are making preparations for the scheduled start. Add to that the fact that they'll be spending in excess of a hundred billion GBP over the next 10 years in infrastructure projects. So, it seems to me as if it's all blown out of proportion.

@La Furia : Nights are usually cooler but it can be really humid as well. I'm not really an expert, so I may not have made sense, lol. Also, I don't know about Qatar but it's not that hot in the UAE and I remember being able to play footie for around twenty minutes before wanting a time out. That was like once a week and, apart from that, I rarely did any stamina increasing exercise. :lol:

Would totally be a different case for world class players, though.

Last edited:

La Furia

Legion of Doooom
The tournament in Brazil will be during the winter won't it?

Yes, but since the climate of most of Brazil is tropical it won't really matter much.

Sao Paulo is temperate due to altitude, but winter temperatures are in the mid teens...so basically English summers ;)

Raed

Dr. Raed St. Claire
Playing football in the day with proper shade is better than playing at night during the summer because of humidity. God damn the humidity you get at night in the summer in Abu Dhabi. Here is the thing though, 20 kms away from the shore line and you get cool air (at night) and a lot less humidity in the dessert so any stadium could be fine to play in. It is just that anything near the coast is miserable. Winter in UAE is very nice, very moderate to play football but the competition won't be happening then, just no way, all parties will not agree. In UAE, the city of Al Ain, part of the Emirate of Abu Dhabi, it isn't as bad as the city Abu Dhabi, an island, because it has no coast. The heat comes from direct sunlight, cheap methods of shading should drop the tempratures significantly. You don't need air conditioners, you need air circulation/ventillation to drop it even further but I am no building scientist. Ask Sergio, he may know.

All I know is that, a big deal is made of the stadiums when the WC is in 10 years times, by that time Qatar would have built a Nuclear power plant, purchased a couple of hundred wind turbines and better solar panels than what they have today + what they learned from Abu Dhabi's experimental city 'Masdar'. It really isn't a big deal when you look at it from an experimental point of view. The amount of research that can be done on this is monumental, you'd just hope for it to actually be useful to the world.

Examples:

1. Research in thermal bridging.
2. Renewable energy.
3. Concrete mixtures.
4. Expediated construction techniques.
5. Architectural advantages and disadvantages.
6. Transportation research.

The 100 billion pounds is not that much if you think about it, that is 10 billion every year for a rich country looking to build its cities and attract population. It really is nothing actually when you looked beyond the WC. Qatar for all its noise is still pretty empty, some proposed stadia are in cities that do not even exist yet. Al Wakra city is one of the biggest cities in Qatar and it has population of only 30 000, less people than the amount of the stadium in it will hold for the WC. Lusail is the newest city to be under development and the capacity of the stadium is 86 000, more than twice the population of Al Wakra. So the 100 billion will be spent on building entire cities and towns, to become the permenant residency for people who want life by the beach, a step away from both sides of the world and pay no taxes. And if you know what buildings, roads, sewage, cost you will see that 100 billion can be easily and quickly consumed. Especially when it is a Middle Eastern country 'friends' with the USA.

GiantKiller

Al Ain is an Oasis, isn't it? But yeah, I agree. :)

Edit: Just realized that we're all sooooo off topic. :p

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans