Ballon d'Or : Messi or Iniesta?

Ballon d'Or : Messi or Iniesta?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

footyfan

Calma, calma
Of course they play in the same position, both deep lying playmakers who get more of a free role to do as they please.

I always think of Pirlo as playing 10-15 m behind Xavi. Xavi is very dynamic in his play-style with constant movements to make space for others and himself. Pirlo seems a bit more static, and more likely to pinge passes to the forwards or wide players. I've always thought of Pirlo and Xabi Alonso to be the same position tbh.

well, i think since the copa final he has beem superb. he was below his standards before it though.

+1. I've loved his performances this season. For the past few games, he also isn't hesitating to attempt slightly riskier passes, something that I've been hoping for.

PearLBLacK

Banned
I always think of Pirlo as playing 10-15 m behind Xavi. Xavi is very dynamic in his play-style with constant movements to make space for others and himself. Pirlo seems a bit more static, and more likely to pinge passes to the forwards or wide players. I've always thought of Pirlo and Xabi Alonso to be the same position tbh.

On paper, Pirlo & Xavi play in the same position, maybe not in the same role for their respective teams, but position-wise they're the same. The only difference is that Xavi is much more mobile, while Pirlo is the more traditional regista. Xavi sometimes seems to play higher up the pitch, but he counterbalances that with his more conservative approach (ie sideways passing, passing back to CBs/fullbacks, spreading the ball around, etc). Pirlo seems to play much deeper, but takes greater risks in forward passes.

Xabi Alonso is different from the two. His defensive side is definitely better. And he can control the tempo of the match as well, but doesn't beat either Xavi or Pirlo in that department. The one aspect Xabi is far greater at than both Pirlo & Xavi is his long range passing/crossing/shooting ability. No other player comes close to him in that regard, imo.

marcelo

Footballers all have good and bad games, some players more than others some less. With this ideaology, messi has had far more better matches than iniesta. Iniesta is great but MESSI is the GREATEST!!!! IMO by a whole lot

Sergio

Sergison
Pirlo vs Xavi in Euro = Xavi mopped the floor with Pirlo's face.
In their second meeting, rather different in the first.

Pirlo was also the main reason his team won the league title and went unbeaten all year. Xavi? Awkward.

Last edited:

XaviMessiGirl

What? Individually I wouldn't say that was the case at all. Pirlo had a better Euro performance than Xavi, despite the former being on the losing side. You could make an argument that Iniesta was better than Pirlo in the Euros, but I wouldn't say the same for Xavi.

Sergio

Sergison
That is a single game, we are talking about an entire season. Pirlo was consistently brilliant from start to finish, the fact that a much unfancied Italia made it to that final was largely due to him in the first place. The same cannot be said of Xavi, who was largely anonymous through the tournament. Pretty much the same goes for Xavi's club form, sometimes brilliant, sometimes mediocre, certainly not the driving force Pirlo was for Juventus. Can't say I know what if anything Xavi did in the Copa, but then again no one cares.

FCBarca

Mike the Knife

This...And in no way does it diminish how fantastic Pirlo is but that Euro Final was a master class lesson with Xavi & Iniesta dishing out such a dominating performance that only the very biased could even dream of comparing Andrea to the two...In many circles I am certain it was viewed as nothing less than utter humiliation

I really got the feeling that they were motivated to demonstrate just how wide the gulf remains...Different class, folks

footyfan

Calma, calma
In their second meeting, rather different in the first.

I just saw the first Italy-Spain game. Xavi was better even in the first meeting. Obviously, it was much closer but still he was MOTM according to whoscored. If it wasn't for the blondie on his team who missed really easy opportunities, he would've been thought of as MOTM by everyone else as well.

Apparently, Xavi also finished Euro 2012 as the player with most chances created (26).

Boris

Iniesta. Just for a change and the power this achievement carries in future, I'd give it to Iniesta. His name needs to be written in the football history. In 30 years or so, everyone will know who Messi is, but I'd like the same thing for Andres.
If I'm to be objective,however... Well, of course it's going to Messi. :lol:

footyfan

Calma, calma
IMO nobody remembers Ballon D'Or winners in any special way just because they won the Ballon D'Or. Cruyff and Platini are remembered for their exploits rather than winning Ballon D'Or 3 times. Same with most other players. Pele and Maradona didn't win many(any??) individual awards yet they're the best ever. I don't think anybody cares or knows that Maradona was awarded Golden Ball at World Cup 86 or that Di Stefano actually won the Ballon D'Or twice.

Iniesta is an all-time Barca legend. In Catalunya he is a god. As for Spain, he scored the winner in their first ever World Cup win. No one is gonna forget him there. He is set for life. He doesn't need any Ballon D'Or to cement anything. In 30 years, people experienced in football will certainly remember Iniesta and that's what matters. Maybe not the same way as Messi but then again, Messi makes a case for best player of all time while Iniesta doesn't. So it's fair.

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans