Electronic Music

House, Trance or Progressive

• Total voters

XaviMessiGirl

I picked house but I could really go with either house or trance. Though overall I am more of a goth/EBM person when it comes to electronic music.

Plip

Cardenal de Catalunya
Rubbish alternatives.

Where are genres such as IDM, Electro, Techno, Dubstep (not talking about the garbage played / produced by Skrillex), Drum n' Bass and, say, Disco?

But, since you have to pick one - i'd go with house, especially the old detroit, chicago stuff + some amazing deep house & balearic house.

footyfan

Calma, calma
Rubbish alternatives.

Where are genres such as IDM, Electro, Techno, Dubstep (not talking about the garbage played / produced by Skrillex), Drum n' Bass and, say, Disco?

But, since you have to pick one - i'd go with house, especially the old detroit, chicago stuff + some amazing deep house & balearic house.

Simple. I just wanted a comparison of the 3 options. I wasn't interested in any of those that you mentioned, up until now atleast ;)

Seems like you're interested in a lot of the older music for which I was too young I guess. Do you have any recommendations?

Plip

Cardenal de Catalunya
Simple. I just wanted a comparison of the 3 options. I wasn't interested in any of those that you mentioned, up until now atleast ;)

Seems like you're interested in a lot of the older music for which I was too young I guess. Do you have any recommendations?

I can compile a genre specific list of, say, 3-4 artists each, so as to get some kind of a general picture.

Could post it tomorrow.

La Furia

Legion of Doooom
Rubbish alternatives.

With electro there's a blurring between that and house which will kinda confuse those who aren't as big of music nerds as we are.

It's not complete if you don't include Techno, DnB/Jungle and Ambient Electronic music in the conversation IMO, and more and more Dubstep, even if the term is continuing to get corrupted by Skrillex and his minions.

House/Trance is the still the most obvious mainstream divide, though it's been losing meaning over the past few years as trance has becoming increasingly simple (with the most high profile trance DJs, most obviously Tiesto, going as far as to sell out completely into House trends) and with the growth of progressive house borrowing a lot from trance. If anything the biggest divide nowadays is between purists, IDM experimentation and mainstream celebrity DJs who fully embrace the Americanization of electronic music (or "EDM", ugh)

footyfan

Calma, calma
no ambient? wtf?

There's also a few other genres I haven't included like downtempo, hardcore, industrial etc. But c'mon guys, I'm not gonna include each and every one of them. The question of the poll is house, trance or progressive....these genres are broad enough as it is.

My main reason for making this poll was to get some good recommendations, not to classify electronic music.

Last edited:

footyfan

Calma, calma
With electro there's a blurring between that and house which will kinda confuse those who aren't as big of music nerds as we are.

It's not complete if you don't include Techno, DnB/Jungle and Ambient Electronic music in the conversation IMO, and more and more Dubstep, even if the term is continuing to get corrupted by Skrillex and his minions.

House/Trance is the still the most obvious mainstream divide, though it's been losing meaning over the past few years as trance has becoming increasingly simple (with the most high profile trance DJs, most obviously Tiesto, going as far as to sell out completely into House trends) and with the growth of progressive house borrowing a lot from trance. If anything the biggest divide nowadays is between purists, IDM experimentation and mainstream celebrity DJs who fully embrace the Americanization of electronic music (or "EDM", ugh)

The bolded part basically seems to be my favorite genre. That, uplifting and balearic.

Deco 20

Scandinavian 101
I've heard of House... But could someone please enlighten me to what the others are (and what makes them different from House).

Does this count? (I guess it's Eurodisco or something)

Also, which categories would songs such as Infinity, Levels, Satisfaction (Benny Benassi), Eurodancer, Calcutta and Put Your Hands Up For Detroit fit into?

La LL

Generally Delightful

Whatever Infected Mushroom can be qualified as is best. All you haters of electronic music need to listen up some Infected. Shit be tripping.

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans