Celtic stun Barca

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
It was a Group G clash that the Hoops were not supposed to win but the east end of Glasgow exploded in the 21st minute when midfielder Wanyama headed in from a Charlie Mulgrew corner.

Celtic-s-Scottish-striker-Tony_54354946601_54145916424_724_270.jpg

It was backs-to-the-wall stuff for most of the game for the home side as the star-studded visitors hit the woodwork twice and goalkeeper Fraser Forster pulled off a number of vital saves.

But in the 83rd minute 18-year-old Watt, on for Mikael Lustig to make his debut in the competition, raced away to score the second, leaving Lionel Messi's late strike a consolation.

Celtic, with seven points from four games, two less than leaders Barca, travel to Benfica before hosting Spartak Moscow in their final group fixture and will surely fancy their chances of reaching the knockout stages of the competition.

(espn)

richiebhoy1888

On cloud 9 tbh. Thought we could maybe sneak a draw at best ,but obviously we'll take this. As usual Barca had most of the ball ,but clearly our game plan worked as in we got bodies behind the ball and held a strong defensive line,and it wasnt desperate defending but i thought controlled defending.Hope all Barca fans had a great time in Glasgow despite the result,thought they were great and a credit to your club. My 15 year old son went over to swap scarves at the end and must have shook god knows how many peoples hands. Really hope you get the job done in Moscow

impeh

Hi, its me..
Thought we played reasonably well tbh, considering its a hard place to go. Created lots of chances but couldnt finish enough of them. Their GK again was fantastic.

We've been pretty useless from set pieces for a while now :lol: puyol/pique/abidal are all pretty tall players and good in the air, when you replace them with mascherano/alba.. as great as they both are, it makes us weaker in the air. Puyol and Abidal are unfortunately not getting any younger, and although im one of mascheranos biggest fans.. we really need to go out and spend money on a decent young CB whos gonna be here for 5+ years.

Its happened before and probably will again, still only need a point to qualify :barca scarf:

F

Flavia

Messi: “We're not worried”

Ignasi Massafret

11/07/2012 23:46

Despite losing to Celtic, the Argentine noted that Barça remain group leaders with two matches left on the schedule

"We did everything right but the ball didn't go in," said Messi after the match

Leo Messi, who scored Barça’s only goal against Celtic on Wednesday, said: “We’re still in first place in the group, we’re not worried.” The Argentine also noted that “I think we did a good job, we created chances but the ball didn’t go in.” Messi concluded his post-match interview by analysing Celtic’s approach to the match: “The same thing happened at the Camp Nou. They played defensively and they waited to make fast counterattacks. They are very comfortable on corners and set pieces, and that’s how they scored their two goals.”

Statements made by FC Barcelona players after the match:

Cesc Fàbregas:

“There is no such thing as injustice or justice in football. You have to win and that’s it. We lacked depth, we had our chances and they scored on the chances they had.”

“We have to continue with our style of play, we’re very pleased with the season that we’re having.”

“We have two games left and we’ll try to win them.”

Jordi Alba

“If we hadn’t had the chances we created I wouldn’t be leaving with the feeling I have, but it’s time to focus on our next match.”

“We’re coming up against teams that close themselves off at the back and we’re finding it difficult to get into the opposing team’s area, but we’re not worried about it.”

“The match allowed for the right and left backs to push forward. Each day I’m feeling better and more comfortable when I go forward.”

“They created chances on set pieces because they know we’re not a very tall team, but we also created a lot of chances but their keeper was brilliant.”

Marc Bartra

“We didn’t score from the chances we created, they were very effective; that’s what was in their favour.”

“We have to move on and keep on working. We have to be optimistic knowing that we’re group leaders.”

dodi1982

I don't feel bitter this time as I usually do when we lose, maybe because I like Celtic and have lots of friends of Celtic descent who love Liverpool and Celtic

Then again parking the bus excuse is getting really old, let's just suck it up , do something about it to move on.

H

Hoopybhoy

Hi people delighted about result tonight think celtic done well not to lose to arguably the best playing football side on the planet. I would like to say to Barcelona fans though and the club that yous all took defeat as I would expect with grace and aplomb you all truly are a wonderful club and bunch of supporters and hopefully celtic will have a strong relationship with yourself for years to come Hail Hail

cloned warrior

Celtic has defeated milan and manchester united at their stadium so im not surprised!!
congratulations!!

as for us its a wake up call! Song did ok but still not convening!
good to see pique back!

P

PhilS

Barca not only lost, but lost with the ref refusing to card Song twice and red card Masch once.

ss81bja

i'm sorry but when you can have over 70% possession and look as impotent as barca did is unacceptable and has me so dissapointed as a fan. I mean Celtic did not even looked fazed. I'm going to say it because i saw it last season and now this season, Barca needs a Plan B. Our tiki taka style has won us trophies but when teams like Celtic can contain us
you got to be concerned. It's no use having so many completed passes and can't get the ball in the net. I think the current team lacks variety and needs a few players to vary our style when we hit "walls" in particular games. Back when we had Eto'o and Henry along with Messi you only need a good midfielder and we had two. Here is what i want to see:
1. Get another centre back for "CHRIST SAKES". Buy one and groom one from La Masia
2. Another more direct player who can run at defenses and can shoot from outside the 18 yard box like a true attacking midfielder or winger. it may be bold but Messi can serve this role if you don't want to buy another player and put in another "striker"
3. Barcelona may have forwards but not true strikers except Messi. I'm sorry but Alexis does what La Masia players can provide. I was hoping he would improve but after nearly two seasons i am losing hope. Villa is not at his peak, Tello is green and Pedro is good but needs a few more years. Teams don't fear our front line as before and we need a player along with Messi that is a real goal scoring threat to get other teams defenses distracted and disorganised.

For god sakes I support Barca from times when they were mediorce to now being the "best team in the world". It hurts me that fans can see Barca descending back to mediocracy and those with power not doing anything to stop it

Home of Barca Fans