Alexis Sanchez

BBZ8800

And hell, even if we go with the argument that Alexis doesn't fit our style, why offload somone who, from a rather rigid rw position can churn out close to 20 goals and half as many assists in a league campaign? Those stats are close to equal to what Sturridge, who's widely regarded as the best thing since sliced bread, produced from a strikers position.

He produced that once. With 9 tap-ins.
There is a huge chance that this was his best season and that in the future he will be even "weaker" than in the last Season.

And yet, a lot of Barca fans don't rate him too high even with numbers from his best Season.

Imagine a Season with 8-12 Goals and no major Trophies again.
There is a very high probability for something like that with Alexis in the starting lineup.

L

linetty

After his good performances at the World Cup, Barcelona have valued Chilean forward Alexis Sanchez (25) at 40M. [marca]

Gaudi

I never hated Alexis but let's be honest, he never trully adapted to our style. He does look good with Chile but even though we want some changes in Barca (faster play, better off ball movement, pressing and so on) it's not that we'll start playing completly different now. So it's up to player to adapt not team to him, at least if you are not Messi.

sabby

After his good performances at the World Cup, Barcelona have valued Chilean forward Alexis Sanchez (25) at 40M. [marca]

Awww... Poor Juve :lol: Bloody low-ballers will increase their previous bid 18m to a 23m now :lol: I really do not understand why Lucho/Barca want to sell him, if it is to fund a marquee signing Suarez or any other Striker/Forward then they must be pretty dumb. I could understand if it was to actually fund a proper WC CB. And we are not in that dire state anyway.

With the money we have, we can actually buy Hummels/Benatia if they are available plus a decent young #9 and left with change to buy additional CB/LB. Heck, I even say offer Zenit 25m for Garay. They'd make a nice 10m profit and we'll get a pretty decent CB who is awesome in the air at a lot cheaper than our targets.

Last edited:

Trickykid

He produced that once. With 9 tap-ins.
There is a huge chance that this was his best season and that in the future he will be even "weaker" than in the last Season.

And yet, a lot of Barca fans don't rate him too high even with numbers from his best Season.

Imagine a Season with 8-12 Goals and no major Trophies again.
There is a very high probability for something like that with Alexis in the starting lineup.

After a torrid first half season, he started playing very well sometime during the latter part of 12/13, so no, you're wrong, as he's been playing on a regular high level for close to 1½ seasons now. At least give me some arguments to your ridiculous 'There is a huge chance that this was his best season and that in the future he will be even "weaker" than in the last Season'-argument.

BBZ8800

After a torrid first half season, he started playing very well sometime during the latter part of 12/13, so no, you're wrong, as he's been playing on a regular high level for close to 1½ seasons now. At least give me some arguments to your ridiculous 'There is a huge chance that this was his best season and that in the future he will be even "weaker" than in the last Season'-argument.

I just don't like him and I don't see anything special in him.
It is not that he is not a good/very, very good player, but I just don't see that we will ever have a major success with him in our attacking trio.

Look, on every other thread, some fans like Xavi, some fans don't like him anymore.
Some fans like Higuain, some don't.
Some like Cuadrado, some don't etc..

Me, and some other fans, just don't see anything special in Alexis and you need to have something special to play in Barca's attacking trio.

Further:
-- when he is a winger, he is not good enough for us for CL glory
-- when he plays for Chile, he is better, but again, I'm still not too impressed. He still trips over the ball, has some weird decisions and generally I don't find him as "the smartest guy in the word when he is on the field"
-- he just have extremely strange decisions and movements too often

So, the options for him in Barca are only:
-- to play on a wing, which didn't work well and never will, and we had enough of that
-- to play him in the middle or some other position, like in a Chilean NT, but again, I wouldn't be too happy if we would "build" our team around Alexis. Imo, he is just not good enough

Imo, you should "build" a team around Messi, Ronaldo, Robben, Zlatan and simialr players. You don't give a free role to Alexis.
If we want to give free roles, we should give them to Messi, Neymar, Iniesta, or we should buy some other attacking player.
Liverpool and Arsenal can "build" their teams around Alexis and give a free role to him.
He is just not good enough to be given a free role in Barca, and that's it.

He is here for 3 years, and unless he scores 30 or 40 Goals in the next Season (which won't happen), me (and some other fans also) won't change our opinion about him.

I am not "disliking" only Alexis. I had the same "problem" with Fabregas and I wanted him out.
I don't have "a problem" with most of other Barca's players.

You will have to accept that some fans just don't see anything special in him.
And we would like to try some other options with other players.
We don't like how our team plays/works/moves/attacks when he is on the field and that's it. And we don't believe that we will ever improve too much with him in our attacking trio.

I hope that we are allowed to have a very bad opinion about some of our players. That's it.

André

Who said he cant dribble?

@WhoScored: Alexis Sánchez: Has completed the most successful dribbles (22) at the 2014 World Cup #chi

serghei

I never hated Alexis but let's be honest, he never trully adapted to our style. He does look good with Chile but even though we want some changes in Barca (faster play, better off ball movement, pressing and so on) it's not that we'll start playing completly different now. So it's up to player to adapt not team to him, at least if you are not Messi.

He already was among our best 5 players last season. And that with a tactic that didn't favour him. If he keeps improving and he stays, he's gonna be a nightmare to play against -- if he's not already.

Kerrybai

@WhoScored: Alexis Sánchez: Has completed the most successful dribbles (22) at the 2014 World Cup #chi

I did, speaking about the Barca Sanchez, not his far superior Udinese/Chilean twin.
Udinese

2009/2010 - 2.2
2010/2011 - 3

Barcelona
2011/2012 - 0.9
2012/2013 - 0.9
2013/2014 - 1.1

Chile ( World Cup ) - 5.5

http://www.whoscored.com/Players/25244/History/Alexis-Snchez

Take a look at those stats. Notice notice how much he dribbled at Udinese and Chile but then aso notice how much how he is dispossessed/turns over the ball. He's afraid to attack at Barca as we rely too much on ball retention as part of our defence.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sanchez is a very good player and most who dislikes him on here would not argue otherwise...but he is a shadow of himself for Barcelona. He thrives in hectic end to end games ( Brazil vs Chile ) and 2 golozao's aside he was nothing special last season. Honestly did he have any games where you thought wow what a player, or wow he ran the show today?

I think those 2 golozao's cover up an otherwise average season where he was once again unable to show his Chilean form. He can't dribble against parked buses and most of all he has never come close to finding his feet in the Champions league.

If he is staying then let's hope Lucho will use him differently, fuck it maybe he can be our number 9.

Edit: I realise Serghei, Trickykid etc will disagree and we have talked over most of these points before. I respect the appreciation ye have for Sanchez but I simply can't be happy with the difference between the Barca and Chilean moulds.

Last edited:

Trickykid

His turnovers and disposessed stats are nothing special compared to many other top forwards out there.

About not being able to dribble against parked busses, show me a handfull of players who excel in that area please.

Kerrybai

His turnovers and disposessed stats are nothing special compared to many other top forwards out there.

About not being able to dribble against parked busses, show me a handfull of players who excel in that area please.

Neymar, Iniesta and Messi.

Sumlit

San Claudio Bravo

The majority of Alexis' dribbles in the WC are coming from the midfield, not from the forward position. More similar to his dribbles at Udinese than at Barca. Alexis dribbles are mostly coming from him receiving the ball in midfield and beating one player mostly with pace alone. If you watch him, he has exploited a lot the play in which he receives the ball in midfield with his back to goal, and then makes a faint and a quick turn to beat a player coming to mark him.

This is very different in Barca when he would receive the ball much more forward in attack, with less space to make wide turns, and more defenders to beat. This is where he struggles.

Kerrybai

Ah, so we just replace him with one of them? Easiest transfer of the season!

You didn't ask me for a replacement. I would replace him with a number 9 who wouldn't be expected to dribble often. Our RB can provide width on that side.

Sanchez was amazing at the World Cup, i'd love to see that player play week in week out at club level :beer2:

Home of Barca Fans