David Villa

khaled_a_d

It is really tough to know where to rate Villa.
I mean looking at this debate I can see both sides of argument, Villa was really really great striker who is playing simple and effective
I think this was a problem of his, but more important he isn't anyone legend
Sheva is Milan's legend,Drogba for Chelsea,Torres for AM and to less extent Liverpool and Eto for us. Ibra was so great in league and very charismatic character.
Villa? He isn't a legend for us, and while he was truly great in Valencia he won one CDR during 5 years after great stints that club had under Benitez and Cuper, they weren't great club anymore back then.
Even in Spain players like Xavi,Iniesta,Casillas, Puyol etc will be all remembered ahead of him

Edit: As fpr Drogba, I doubt he would fit as well in Liga as he did in EPL, but nothing is wrong in that. Players will always do better in some situations than others

raskolnikov

It is really tough to know where to rate Villa.
I mean looking at this debate I can see both sides of argument, Villa was really really great striker who is playing simple and effective
I think this was a problem of his, but more important he isn't anyone legend
Sheva is Milan's legend,Drogba for Chelsea,Torres for AM and to less extent Liverpool and Eto for us. Ibra was so great in league and very charismatic character.
Villa? He isn't a legend for us, and while he was truly great in Valencia he won one CDR during 5 years after great stints that club had under Benitez and Cuper, they weren't great club anymore back then.
Even in Spain players like Xavi,Iniesta,Casillas, Puyol etc will be all remembered ahead of him

Edit: As fpr Drogba, I doubt he would fit as well in Liga as he did in EPL, but nothing is wrong in that. Players will always do better in some situations than others
by that logic Batistuta isnt a Fioretina legend or Totti for Roma even. Silverware doesnt necesary make you a legend. Villa is a Valencia/Spain legend. Imo its the mercenary’s like Zlatan/Ronaldo who may have won silver but are not true clublegends. Maybe somewhat for inter (both) and psg/real but you get the point.

Nothanks

way i simplify it:
he's not the best striker let alone of 00's idk why this is a debate lol
he's also not the best inside forward / winger of his decade
he's not the best second striker of his decade

but idk we can agree to disagree

Sorin

Zlatan's exploits at Inter and PSG are overblown as fuck. The dude played for the most stacked team in the league when Juventus were relegated and Milan were never great under Ancelotti in the league as well. PSG was the fucking same. You see the same people shitting on Neymar now that he plays in a "farmers league" wanking Ibrahimovic to no end and putting him on the same level with guys like Etoo, Suarez and Lewa. The less said about him shitting the bed in CL year in year out the better. The very definition of a good striker being made great by flat tracking minnows.

The whole fiasco where Inter won the CL as soon as him and Etoo changed sides is all the more hilarious.

Edit: Who the hell said that he is the greatest striker of the 2000s? Seems to me like your are fabricating arguments here.

Last edited:

Morten

Thing is, Zlatan is a meme as much as a footballer.
Zlatan is one of the best strikers of his era, but he gets so much attention due his personality that he is a bit overrated, imo.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
It's hard for me to put him in the top 5 even though he was very clutch and I could add him there just because of that.....but then again so were others. Forlan was amazing apart from his Man Utd spell. He was unstoppable at Villarreal and Atletico. I mention Forlan because he's a direct comparison to Villa having played in La Liga and lead Uruguay to a Copa America too. He outperformed Villa in La Liga if I'm not wrong. One of my favorite strikers ever.

Doubt Uruguay will get three top strikers after each other like this again with Forlan, Suarez and Cavani.

Last edited:

SeloBarca

It happens alot on this forum.

One person says hes good, others start saying that person said hes the goat.
One person says Messi was bad today, others start saying that person wants Messi sold.

Zlatan's exploits at Inter and PSG are overblown as fuck.

Zlatan had huge stints in both Juventus and Inter where he were absolutly shite, scored nothing, booed out by the homefans and were even almost sold.
Have never performed in CL and played in Italy when the league was even weaker than it is now.

Last edited:

Sorin

well you did, you clown

First of all, you post 2 quotes where i never said he is the greatest and I'm the clown? Easy with the insults there sport. I'm not your door mat.

Secondly, again, maybe i haven't made myself clear. I've never stated that he was top 5 strikers in the world for the whole decade. I mean, look at every post of mine in this thread and find something like that. You won't. What I meant was that in his best period(prime/peak) he was a top 5 striker in the world. I consider 2008-2011 his peak. For example, Henry was 2 clases above Villa however, between those years, you d have a hard time arguing him over Villa so he is out of the question. Same with Shevchenko, though to a lesser extent as he wasn't as good as Thierry. Not every striker peaked at the same time.

khaled_a_d

by that logic Batistuta isnt a Fioretina legend or Totti for Roma even. Silverware doesnt necesary make you a legend. Villa is a Valencia/Spain legend. Imo its the mercenary’s like Zlatan/Ronaldo who may have won silver but are not true clublegends. Maybe somewhat for inter (both) and psg/real but you get the point.

Hmmm no, by that logic it is exactly the opposite
Batistuta won cup Fiorentina which was their first trophy in 20 years, Totti won the league and 2 cups after no trophies for long time. Villa unluckily joined Valencia in ear of decline, after 2 CL finals,2 league titles, 1 UEFA cup title they went into drought back then. And they weren't on spotlight either which didn't help Villa's legacy unlike the other name mentioned.
Had he joined Barca or RM in 2005 instead of Valencia I think Villa would have looked much better in such debates

Home of Barca Fans