David Villa

Nothanks

I like villa but he struggles to even make top 5 strikers of the 00's much less top 5 in world

I mean
Raul, Ronaldo (brazilian), Samuel Eto, Ibrahimovic, Van Nistelrooy and many others that contend such as forlan, drogba, shevchenko

SeloBarca

Villa was better than Ibrahimovich, which he also proved.
Definatly better than Forlan (had a short but high peak), Drogba and Shevchenko and arguably Eto'o.
Villa was great for many years.

Ritchie

The thing with Villa was he spent most of his peak years at a poor Valencia team who won nothing and was at Gijon and Zaragoza before that.

He was nearly 29 by the time he signed for Barca had that one great year as part of MVP and then was injured for most of the next season and never recovered.

He didn't really win much in his club career (aside from that spell at Barca) which he had to make up for with Spain.

A player like Ibra flat track bullied his way to a lot of titles when Villa was scoring shitloads in a Valencia team who were also rans.

Catta

Villa was better than Ibrahimovich, which he also proved.
Definatly better than Forlan (had a short but high peak), Drogba and Shevchenko and arguably Eto'o.
Villa was great for many years.

It seem you have never seen Drogba, Sheva and Eto'o play. Sheva alone is twice the player Villa is, and Drogba and Eto'o are a class above Villa also. Villa was also not better than Zlatan, he was just a better fit for barca nothing more, about Forlan I would say they were on the same level. He was not even the best national team striker, Torres was miles in front of him before his injury. About his success as part of the MVP, that is mostly because of Messi, both Villa and Pedro were good, not world class like Henry and Eto'o before or Neymar and Suarez after. If you think more about it Villa was an average transfer for us, the same as Mathieu, both gave only one good season, good not great, and both were overpayed and not worth the money for what they gave to the club.

Nothanks

Villa was a good purchase for us, and provided a good inside forward.. did the simple stuff very well and came up in important moments.
but as i said i just don't rate him a top player of the 00's.. also wasn't the leading man for spain's triumph in 2010
xavi, iniesta, busquets, iker all out performed him

for comparison
villa in 3 seasons with barca stat was-------119 apps 48 goals all competitions
in suarez's 15/16 season alone---------------53 apps 59 goals all competition

and villa had a prime xavi / iniesta / busquets / dani alves / messi supplying him

Last edited:

El Guaje

Villa was a good purchase for us, and provided a good inside forward.. did the simple stuff very well and came up in important moments.
but as i said i just don't rate him a top player of the 00's.. also wasn't the leading man for spain's triumph in 2010

for comparison

and villa had a prime xavi / iniesta / busquets / dani alves / messi supplying him

Lol.

He scored all goals for spain in that WC aprt from like 2-3.
Also you cant compare Villa with Suarez as they both had totally different roles and positions.

Nothanks

when someone says villa is one of the greatest strikers, i am going to compare him to strikers
spain won the world cup with their midfield we all know this, based on your name we know you're a fan of his but come back to reality, he's a character and was successful here but really not too special

Last edited:

Sorin

for comparison

Top scorer for Spain all time is enough to consider him as one of the great players of the '00. It's asinine to think otherwise. Was an absolutely crucial part of the Spain team in both 2008 and 2010. He scored winning goals in 3 of the 7 games in the 2010 world cup. The whole team scored 8 times, he scored 5 of those. While Xavi and Iniesta were the best players of that team, they wouldn't have been able to get past some games without Villa's contribution against Chile, Paraguay and Portugal. They were toothless at times and Villa was the only one who could score in a brothel. Much like Barcelona was toothless sometimes without Messi so was Spain w/o David. To a lesser extent of course.

Comparing David Villa with Suarez is a bit irrelevant. For one, nobody argues Suarez isn't better than Villa. Secondly, Suarez is better than any striker in the '00 not named Henry. Thirdly, they joined Barcelona at different times in their careers and in Barcelona's evolution. Suarez 26 going on 27, right in the middle of his peak while Villa was 28 on 29 which is towards the end of a peak for a striker. Messi was the focus of the attack in Villa's time while Messi gave the striker role to Suarez while himself playing way deeper. Furthermore, Villa performed as good as we could've expected in his first year, doing his part perfectly for what is probably the best team of all time. Then he got injured in his second year and that was that. Even then he was pretty good in the knockout stages of the CL in 2012-2013 season until injuries and Tito's illness fucked us over real bad. But yeah, he was finished at that point.

Was also more than a striker. Check Cruyff's opinion of him. Hell, he even was top assisting dog of La Liga in 2007. As a goddamn striker in Valencia no less, so no superteam who scores 150 goals per season while also scoring up there with the best of them.

He was just doing great for a team without to many aspiration in Valencia which hasn't won much and he is regarded as a lesser player for it. Wouldn't have any doubt that he would be considered better if he had played for a team with greater ambitions from earlier in his career. Maybe that's his fault for not forcing a move and being loyal for a good part of his prime. The ability was there though.

Anyway, a lot of strikers would want to have Villa's 3 peak years 2008-2011. He was absolutely in the top 5 strikers in the world in that time. Hell, he was rated as the best striker in some those years by FIFA. Not saying that he was better than Etoo and the likes, just that he was up there competing with them while in a lesser team. Was also nominated for Ballon D'Or several times. Finished in top 10 twice iirc. Don't take my word for it though.

Last edited:

El Guaje

when someone says villa is one of the greatest strikers, i am going to compare him to strikers
spain won the world cup with their midfield we all know this, based on your name we know you're a fan of his but come back to reality, he's a character and was successful here but really not too special

The fact is still that he scored ALL of their goals exept the 2 goals Puyol and Iniesta scored (might have forgotten a goal). And you are just downplaying it. They would never have won without all of the goals he scored. He was not the sole reason they won and he might have been edged by Xavi and Iniesta but he played a very huge part in that WC. And he is also their top scorer of all time.

He beasted it both at Zaragoza and particularly in Valencia. He scored loads of goals while playing for a 2nd tier team. He would have had a MUCH higher status had he played for a big team for a longer period of time.

SeloBarca

Better than Ibra !!!!

Lol

Ibrahimovich has always been way way way overrated.
Shevchenko was good at finishing, but not anything special in dribbling and passing.
Drogba was good but nothing special to me.
Villa was great for many years in Valencia and the Nationa team before he joined us. Much better than Torres.
Still i think Raul was better.

Morten

Drogba was great, and always showed up when it mattered, but wasnt really a consistent goalscorer, holds him back a bit.
Drogba brought more to the team than just goals though, as a target-man, one of the best in history. Some of the most ridiculous diving i have ever seen on a football pitch as well.

Home of Barca Fans