jtmx12

First Goal:
firstgoal.jpg

Second Goal:
secondgoal.jpg

Third Goal:
thirdgoal.jpg

Leo10

To be fair Villa was (or would have been) offside in 5 of the 6 images you posted. :lol:

He was caught offside several times yesterday what makes you believe he wouldn't this time?

Alik

To be fair Villa was (or would have been) offside in 5 of the 6 images you posted. :lol:

He was caught offside several times yesterday what makes you believe he wouldn't this time?

I think those images show that Villa did his work by pulling defenders towards him making messi/song free.

J

jtmx12

Are you serious? Did you really look at the images? in most of them he was 1 meter or sometimes 2 meters behind the defense and Iniesta, Alba, Montoya had the ball in their feets.

I've seen those "offsides" you are talking about, and they were VERY veryyyy close. I remember the guy from tv saying that 1 was valid, and the next one if the refere didn't call offside it would have been valid as well.

Also, let's get something right here: going offside is not always Villa's fault, sometimes the guy that assist him "thinks too hard" and gives the ball to Villa too late.

I know you like Leo a lot because of your nickname, but some common sense please.

In all those images, Messi was in all of them, which pretty much made "Villa invisible" for his team mates. Out of 6 chances to score, he got the ball 0 times, Messi got it instead in all of them. Then ppl dear to call Villa the "worse" of the match, but what can he do? dribble 5 ppl and score like Messi? we all know that's not his quality. His quality is making awesome runs and always been in the right position to score, but if he always gets unnoticed, there's nothing he can do.

Like I said before, in La Liga, Villa = 8 shoots, 5 goals, [63% accuracy, 4 times better than Messi, Ronaldo & Falcao]. If Villa doesn't keep scoring that's because he doesn't even get the chance to do so, just like Pedro. They both scored 3 goals with Spain last game, while with Barca they didn't even shot at all. The only difference betweem Spain & Barca is Messi. Do the maths.

Last edited:

ammarfcb

ze special one
i approve with everything JTMX12 on this page.

villa has been offside mostly when the assist-er takes abit longer. villa trolls the offside trap so it's normal for him to be offside alot.

tumblr_mdoyb6B0iu1rj7knoo1_500.jpg

tumblr_mdm0ax9wX41r8dfrpo1_500.png

tumblr_mdl5sjq1pn1rf42cgo1_500.jpg

barcanuck

I've seen those "offsides" you are talking about, and they were VERY veryyyy close. I remember the guy from tv saying that 1 was valid, and the next one if the refere didn't call offside it would have been valid as well.

Also, let's get something right here: going offside is not always Villa's fault, sometimes the guy that assist him "thinks too hard" and gives the ball to Villa too late.

I know you like Leo a lot because of your nickname, but some common sense please.

In all those images, Messi was in all of them, which pretty much made "Villa invisible" for his team mates. Out of 6 chances to score, he got the ball 0 times, Messi got it instead in all of them. Then ppl dear to call Villa the "worse" of the match, but what can he do? dribble 5 ppl and score like Messi? we all know that's not his quality. His quality is making awesome runs and always been in the right position to score, but if he always gets unnoticed, there's nothing he can do.

Like I said before, in La Liga, Villa = 8 shoots, 5 goals, [63% accuracy, 4 times better than Messi, Ronaldo & Falcao]. If Villa doesn't keep scoring that's because he doesn't even get the chance to do so, just like Pedro. They both scored 3 goals with Spain last game, while with Barca they didn't even shot at all. The only difference betweem Spain & Barca is Messi. Do the maths.

I agree with these statements. It doesn't matter if Villa is onside or barely offside, look how much space he puts himself into. It's perfect positioning. His whole career he has positioned himself in goal scoring areas, he is the 2nd best on our team when it comes to smelling the goal. I can't belive people say he played badly yesterday. Those pictures show that he actually opens space for Messi because defenders have to give him a look with that much space. Vital to our attack Villa is.

footyfan

Calma, calma
Out of all those images, only Alba (first image) or Iniesta could have passed to Villa. Even then, the first one is really is difficult, because I don't think Alba has looked up at this point yet to notice Villa.

That's not to say I don't agree with the premise though. It is unnatural that all the passes go to Messi. Maybe he just puts himself in the best position, free of any defenders or maybe the team trusts him the most.

J

jtmx12

In the first image, Alba knows where Villa is the whole time. I remember this play, and Villa actually "tells Messi" to give the ball to Alba first by looking at Messi and pointing Alba with his left arm, this way he would be able to start running to get the assist from Alba. He could have ended up alone and scored easily. However, Alba decided to pass the ball to Messi, who was in a worse position, but who also ends up alone because everyone follows Villa.

In the second image, this is a normal play from a 9. Villa had already won the position in the whole play, he just had to get the assist from Messi and touch the ball a bit to deflect it and score. The distance is short, so the chances that it ends up in goal are very high, even the defender could have scored it.

In the third image, this is another normal play from a 9. I've downloaded the whole match, and Villa was on position the whole play (you can see it with another camera view). He's good with both feet, so he just had to get closer to the ball and shoot it and with that distance he had enough time to prepare a strong shot, making it nearly impossible for the goalkeeper to block it. However, Messi, once again who is in a worse position, gets the ball. Once again, he's alone, because 4 defenders follow Villa (not Pedro, he joins later). Messi was too far as well, the only reason why Messi scored is because his aiming was great, perfect to be honest. He could have failed it realllly easily.

In the fourth image, it's clear that Villa has the best position, he just had to get the assist from Alba, and he would have had enough time to control it and shot, and he also had a big space between the 2 defenders. However, once again, he doesn't get the ball...

In the fifth image, Messi has like 5 defenders on him, and yet he's the one that "gets" the ball from Pedro (he doesn't, the defense ends up stealing it, obviously!). Pedro could have passed it to Villa instead, who was pretty much alone, and since Villa is good with his left foot (4 goals out of 6 with it this season), he could have shot it as soon as he got the ball close to him. Enough distance to prepare a strong shot, which could have ended in goal.

In the last image, Iniesta has to decide between Villa & Messi, and of course, Messi is the one who gets the ball once again, and does nothing with it. Villa, in other hand, would have ended up alone because he was already running to the center, unlike Messi, who wasn't even running - he was walking to the right to get a bigger space from the defender that was next to him.

Last edited:

Leo10

When Villa has a significantly better position the ball should go to him rather than Messi.

Now when Messi and Villa are in a somewhat similar positions - I think its clear that 2 out of 3 balls should go to Messi and 1/3 to Villa. Why? Something about legends, worlds best players and shirt sales. Has nothing to do with my username.

M

messi_xavi_iniesta

Impressive numbers by Villa. I take back what i said: he deserves more passes to him.

b9lsc.jpg

lessthanjake

Are you serious? Did you really look at the images? in most of them he was 1 meter or sometimes 2 meters behind the defense and Iniesta, Alba, Montoya had the ball in their feets.

You could look at virtually any match a pure striker like Villa plays and point to multiple times when they were in a good position to get a pass and it didn't go to them. Their job is to get in good positions, but many times players don't get it to them. On the pitch, players do not have a TV view. Sometimes they don't see the player; sometimes they don't have precise enough control at the critical moment to make the pass; sometimes they just make a bad decision. It happens, and it is not specific to Villa.

At the same time, when you look at a legitimate sample, Villa scores about 15% of his shots. I know you said in another thread that he has 63% this season and is "getting better," but that is just absurd. He's not getting way better than before at age 30, coming back from injury, just because he did well in an INCREDIBLY small sample of shots. Everyone here but you knows that is an idiotic idea. The fact is, Villa has been remarkably consistent in his career, and has stayed consistently around 15% the whole time. On the other hand, Messi makes about 25% of his shots. This is despite the fact that Messi is marked far more tightly than Villa. Basically, Messi has a strike rate almost twice as good as Villa's despite being in a tougher position, on average, for his shots than Villa due to heavy marking.

Think about that. What that means is that, if you see Messi in a decent position, and Villa in a somewhat better position, Messi is still probably the most likely to score. As a result, you should pass it to Messi. That is what the team is doing. That, and the stuff I mentioned above (i.e. not noticing, making a bad decision, not being able to pass at the proper moment, etc.)

Home of Barca Fans