Cesc Fabregas

lessthanjake

Sure, but stats says otherwise tho. With Villa we won the champions, league bbva, king's cup, spanish supercup in 2010 scoring 23 goals as a left winger in his first year. He scored in Champions final, and Supercup final. In la Liga BBVA, a final would be el "clasico" where he also scored 2 against real madrid. With Cesc, however, we won a single copa del rey, and even tho he also has the spanish super cup title he barely played that game, only 7 mins. Same thing with the 2011 uefa super cup title, in that match he played the last 10 mins.

I'm not saying Cesc is bad, he's surely world class. However, he hasn't been a key player in finals for Barca, he was usually a sub. Should I even bother to compare both of them with Spain? like Villa 52 goals in 83 appearances, top scorer in euro cup 2008 and top scorer in world cup 2010 helping Spain reach to both finals...

So yeah, right now, Villa > Cesc, for me, at least. Unless you have proofs that I'm wrong, because right now stats say that Villa has done a lot more than Cesc when both played in the same club / national team.

I don't disagree that Villa is a better player than Cesc. Or at least that he WAS a better player (I'm not sure he is better anymore now that he is a bit old and Cesc is getting into his prime years). But it is supremely ridiculous for you to base your logic for this on the fact that Barca did better in Villa's first year here than they did in Cesc's first year. There were SO many other factors that lead to that. Pedro went horribly off form and was injured last year, for instance. Real got 100 La Liga points (Barca only got 96 the year before, so they wouldn't have beaten RM even with the same performance as the year before). Iniesta had injuries. Pique went way off form and got injured. Messi missed the Chelsea penalty. Barca dropped a bunch of points early in the season when Villa was playing while half-injured and not scoring virtually at all, etc. This isn't just an example of Villa playing and Barca winning, and then Cesc playing in a 100% otherwise equal squad and Barca not winning. The 2010-2011 squad was much better than the 2011-2012 squad in other ways.

Even more hilarious is that you count the Spanish Super Cup as an accomplishment Villa has over Cesc when Cesc played in that Spanish Super Cup (not many minutes, but still)!

Ketoth

Statistically Cesc was Barcelona's second best player last season. After Messi, Cesc got the second highest goals and assists. I'm sure the same will happen again this season.

X

xaviniesta

Statistically Cesc was Barcelona's second best player last season. After Messi, Cesc got the second highest goals and assists. I'm sure the same will happen again this season.

thus he is the second best in barca because stats>everything else.

M

messi_xavi_iniesta

stats are not everything but they are good to destroy some myths, like the one "cesc is rubbish".
Great player.

Dan1983

Prediction champion 2012-2013
Cesc is far from rubbish and only his haters or people who do not want him at Barca would state that.

Armando929

He's looking much more cool under pressure and he's not losing the ball as much. And he's not slowing the play up either. He's worked really hard and he's having a fine season. Last year was tough on him I think because Pep was forced to expirement due to all the injuries we had and Cesc was never able to have one position. He was all over the place. That killed his confidence I'm sure.

He looks much better in the midfield now. He'll be ready for sure when Xavi starts to step down.

Edman

Could we get this picture up on the first post with his bio?

Fabregas.JPG

plz plz plz

P

PhilS

My concerns over Cesc as a Barca midfielder have evaporated because of how he has played this year. He won't be fantastic every game, but when he is good (often) he is one of the most dynamic players in the world. It does not matter whether he lines up as midfielder or forward.

Home of Barca Fans