Real Madrid

BarçaBarça

At the end of the day it would have been better if Lopetegui and Real sorted things out after the world-cup, for both him, the squad, the media and Spain.
But not for Real Madrid, because they need to make transfer-preparations and so and, therefore tied him down before the WC. In that moment they could have foreseen that it would be impossible to keep it secret, and therefore wait, so they didn't steer anything up in the national team.

It was selfish by Real Madrid in the first place, but also an overreaction to fire him after the announcement - even though not informing the RFEF about it before 5 minutes before was a dick-move as well. It truly hurts Spains chances, and that is what the RFEF should be all about, right? Then they could leave it up to the Catalunya media to speculate about Madrid-bias in every Lopetegui-choice and so on. The only thing that would annoy me about it, is that Real would get some of Spains possible shine during the world-cup. If that last part was something they deliberately considered, they deserve this shit decision thrown right back in their faces.

I'm not a particularly big fan of Spain, so the chaos is mostly funny to me, and if Real gets some shit from the press and the average worldwide football fan it is fine by me (AS speculated this might be true, and criticized the announcement from Real because of it). Their transfers, coach-choices and image has been way too good in recent years, while we have been blamed for the Dembele and Coutinho-drama by German and English fans. Now Real are back to the good old "De Gea and the faxmachine"-days, and that's delightful. I hope this destroys a bit of Reals preparations for next season as well..

What bloody unrest did it cause to any person in the team after the announcement? Half the players came out in his support and he still got sacked, because the baldie felt hard done with it :lol:

Imagine Pep announced he is leaving Barca out of the blue 2 weeks before the World Cup and you have to find a replacement pronto, or you won't know who the manager is until July. A MONTH of waiting. That's why they wanted to agree to a deal before it.

You are totally right about the last part with Pep, but then you also has to agree that Madrid acting primarily according to their own self interest! It would be horrible to do transfers without having the formalities about the coach ready. But it is also very much true, that if they waited until after the WC with signing anyone (coach or players), it would help Spain as a national team, and the chose to override that concern and do what's best for Madrid, not Spain. Then all the drama and quick decision-making, macho-stance from RFEF was hard to foresee, as they are clearly shooting themselves in the foot, but again, if your daily business is in Spain you know that small things are blown out of proportion every week in the footballing world in Spain.
(Again: Disclaimer that I don't care much about the spanish national team, so that doesn't influence my judgement much).

Last edited:

BenRobbins

What bloody unrest did it cause to any person in the team after the announcement? Half the players came out in his support and he still got sacked, because the baldie felt hard done with it :lol:

Imagine Pep announced he is leaving Barca out of the blue 2 weeks before the World Cup and you have to find a replacement pronto, or you won't know who the manager is until July. A MONTH of waiting. That's why they wanted to agree to a deal before it.

I don't support Barca but this literally happens for every team. You usually wait till the end of the tournament or they are knocked out out of respect for the current employers/nation and the fact they are under contract.

El Gato

Villarato!
I don't support Barca but this literally happens for every team. You usually wait till the end of the tournament or they are knocked out out of respect for the current employers/nation and the fact they are under contract.

Name one top team that went without a manager for a month and a half.

So Aragones was disrespectful too?

BarçaBarça

I assume as a Barca supporter or socio you'd be overjoyed by the prospect of not having a manager for over a month and a half.

No, I wouldn't. But I also care more about club-football than the national team (and in this instance, don't even support spain).
Therefore I think it is quite alright as Real to do as they did, but as a fan you need to back it up by saying: Because ultimately it is more important that things go well for my club than for this national team. Then, fine, but don't expect every fan of the national team to be fine with that selfish behaviour by the club. In the opposite scenario, as you point out, I would fully support Barca to do things that are better for them, but hurt the national team. The only reservation I would have would actually be the image of the club if we got too much hate from the footballing world, because of it, as it seems might be on its way to Madrid now.

ManusXavi

Why did he accept the offer?
He should have refused then made it public that he had refused saying: "I am excited about our first match and all talk about any future at Real Madrid is completely false at this stage of my life. I will not be the next coach of Real Madrid"

Perez is is too blind to what his own actions could do to the success of his own own nation.
So it is therfore Lopetegui's failings.
Instead he saw hairy unicorns floating on rainbows 》i'm going to smoothly the world cup and then coach Madrid.

El Gato

Villarato!
No, I wouldn't. But I also care more about club-football than the national team (and in this instance, don't even support spain).
Therefore I think it is quite alright as Real to do as they did, but as a fan you need to back it up by saying: Because ultimately it is more important that things go well for my club than for this national team. Then, fine, but don't expect every fan of the national team to be fine with that selfish behaviour by the club. In the opposite scenario, as you point out, I would fully support Barca to do things that are better for them, but hurt the national team. The only reservation I would have would actually be the image of the club if we got too much hate from the footballing world, because of it, as it seems might be on its way to Madrid now.

Point here is - what is the actual problem with him going to Madrid? Who cares? Players don't, changes NOTHING regarding their goals at the World Cup. Only Federation does.

Put yourself in Lopetegui's position. You've just signed on a 3-year contract with a national team, which can go south almost anytime depending on how you do at the tournament etc. Your last serious job offer in club football was Wolverhampton in 2016.
Next thing you know is an offer of a job in one of the biggest clubs in the world is being put to you. You're offered the work with 6 players you've chosen for your national team, 2 of them spearheading it. You have a very short window to decide, because the club can't wait for a month until the tournament is over, especially with the Premiership transfer window shutting in August 9th, giving you 1 month to negotiate potential transfers. Once in a lifetime.

What do you decide? Do you tell them to fuck off because it's not the time or the place and take the risk you'll probably never get the job again since they'll almost definitely hire someone else? Admirable choice.

ManusXavi

You would have thought Perez would have jumped at the opportunity to sign a World Cup winning coach withe Worlds publicity in view

ManusXavi

Point here is - what is the actual problem with him going to Madrid? Who cares? Players don't, changes NOTHING regarding their goals at the World Cup. Only Federation does.

Put yourself in Lopetegui's position. You've just signed on a 3-year contract with a national team, which can go south almost anytime depending on how you do at the tournament etc. Your last serious job offer in club football was Wolverhampton in 2016.
Next thing you know is an offer of a job in one of the biggest clubs in the world is being put to you. You're offered the work with 6 players you've chosen for your national team, 2 of them spearheading it. You have a very short window to decide, because the club can't wait for a month until the tournament is over, especially with the Premiership transfer window shutting in August 9th, giving you 1 month to negotiate potential transfers. Once in a lifetime.

What do you decide? Do you tell them to fuck off because it's not the time or the place and take the risk you'll probably never get the job again since they'll almost definitely hire someone else? Admirable choice.

Lopetegui will finish with Madrid thinking. . . . What the heck was I thinking blowing the perfect opportunity to win a World Cup.
Mentally this will take its toll on Lopetegui, sooner rather than later.

El Gato

Villarato!
Lopetegui will finish with Madrid thinking. . . . What the heck was I thinking blowing the perfect opportunity to win a World Cup.
Mentally this will take its toll on Lopetegui, sooner rather than later.

Avoiding the answer. What do you decide in such circumstance?

"Blowing the opportunity".. it would have changed utterly nothing if everyone was professional and adopted business-as-usual approach.

BarçaBarça

I understand Lopeteguis choice, it was Reals choice to put in a situation where he had to make a career-defining decision just before another career-defining month.

Kudos to the national team if none of them thought it would be a little better for the team and their performances that the old rivalry between barca and real didn't go to the front-page of every paper world wide the week before they should work together for the nation. Some would look at their coachs decisions with a different perspective, but they are professionals, so maybe they could manage to brush it aside. I'm just sure that they would prefer not to be given another challenge - to put aside their coachs allegiances in club-football - as they have enough to think about already. I think most would prefer that the situation where their coach announced for one of biggest clubs in spain. It has provoked bad performances at world cups before that the coach was announced to big clubs afterwards, it is not that far out. That doesn't mean that it certainly or even plausible would do it in this case.

All in all it is fair to blame RFEF for shooting themselves in the foot and defend Lopetegui's choice. But it is also fair to blame Real Madrid for their choices (especially if you are a national team fan).

What is Madridista doing here

Making some fair points about the Lopetegui-saga from a Madrid-fans perspective.

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans