Real Madrid

Alik

You have to admit there's a shift.

Perhaps catalysed by recent CL success but mainly the inflation in the market. It used to be a galactico once a year.

They may be thinking about the stadium redevelopment, but they are definitely being frugal and counting pennies. They recognise that they cannot compete with the clubs bank rolled by states (yes, irony not lost on me).

They are electing to not compete with PSG in the market.

They spent 90M on 2 teenagers.

I think it's a shift, but they're definitely not counting pennies.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
They've been holding talks with Hazard and Neymar's reps in Brazil.

I think they want Hazard if they can get him for a price around 150m or under. If not they're willing to wait a year for Neymar and break that WR fee again.

JamDav1982

You have to admit there's a shift.

Perhaps catalysed by recent CL success but mainly the inflation in the market. It used to be a galactico once a year.

They may be thinking about the stadium redevelopment, but they are definitely being frugal and counting pennies. They recognise that they cannot compete with the clubs bank rolled by states (yes, irony not lost on me).

They are electing to not compete with PSG in the market.

Dont think there is and lets see over next few seasons.

They have not really needed any big money signings but will over next few years.

El Gato

Villarato!
Is he for the B team then? Is Courtois still coming?

He didn't get a number so B team or loan, can't expect Casilla to get the boot if Courtois deal doesn't happen. Nobody really knows who Chelsea are willing to let go now.

I wouldn't call it counting pennies, more like saving for the Ronaldo successor and any other necessary transfers. If Liverpool got £70M for just getting to the final, imagine what RM is sitting on. That said, Perez never splashed big bucks on youngsters as much as he did now. Seems like he learned at least that bit from Calderon.

Last edited:

Andrew M

He didn't get a number so B team or loan, can't expect Casilla to get the boot if Courtois deal doesn't happen. Nobody really knows who Chelsea are willing to let go now.

I wouldn't call it counting pennies, more like saving for the Ronaldo successor and any other necessary transfers. If Liverpool got £70M for just getting to the final, imagine what RM is sitting on. That said, Perez never splashed big bucks on youngsters as much as he did now. Seems like he learned at least that bit from Calderon.

Most of that would probably go towards player bonuses. I remember in 2015 when we won the treble it would have been more fiscally beneficial to lose the CL.

They spent 90M on 2 teenagers.

I think it's a shift, but they're definitely not counting pennies.

Yes counting pennies was an exaggeration.

They've been holding talks with Hazard and Neymar's reps in Brazil.

I think they want Hazard if they can get him for a price around 150m or under. If not they're willing to wait a year for Neymar and break that WR fee again.

I just don't see them spending a WR fee. All the messages emanating from the Bernabeu suggest signing youth is their plan for the future. Odriozola, Rodrygo, Vinicius, Lunin etc.

Dont think there is and lets see over next few seasons.

They have not really needed any big money signings but will over next few years.

Since when did galactico signings have anything to do with need?

They didn't need James, Kaka, Beckham etc. All those signings were sporting failures. Even the greatest galactico signing of them all, Cristiano Ronaldo, was a Calderon signing. Perez's galactico record is not very good.

If 100 million bought you the best in the world, they might still do business that way, but now 100 million is not that much. Hence the radical shift in policy towards investments in youth.

I suppose the true metric will be if there is a trophy drought and there is intense media pressure.

Last edited:

El Gato

Villarato!
Most of that would probably go towards player bonuses. I remember in 2015 when we won the treble it would have been more fiscally beneficial to lose the CL.

Think a bonus per head is something around 2-4M for the win which would be about 50 for the entire registered squad. If runner up gets 70, surely winner gets around double that.

Not that it matters. Last two, or even three, windows were fairly profitable from memory despite a 20M signing here and there. Pretty sure if Neymar hadn't gone to PSG and fucked up the Mbappe move for us, then we'd definitely spend around the same to bring him to Madrid.

JamDav1982

Yes counting pennies was an exaggeration.

I just don't see them spending a WR fee. All the messages emanating from the Bernabeu suggest signing youth is their plan for the future. Odriozola, Rodrygo, Vinicius, Lunin etc.

Since when did galactico signings have anything to do with need?

They didn't need James, Kaka, Beckham etc. All those signings were sporting failures. Even the greatest galactico signing of them all, Cristiano Ronaldo, was a Calderon signing. Perez's galactico record is not very good.

If 100 million bought you the best in the world, they might still do business that way, but now 100 million is not that much. Hence the radical shift in policy towards investments in youth.

I suppose the true metric will be if there is a trophy drought and there is intense media pressure.

Real would and have tried to spend more than 100m.

When they need big name players they will pay for them.

The reason towards more youth is that have not needed big name first team signings for most part not some radical shift in approach.

Andrew M

Think a bonus per head is something around 2-4M for the win which would be about 50 for the entire registered squad. If runner up gets 70, surely winner gets around double that.

Not that it matters. Last two, or even three, windows were fairly profitable from memory despite a 20M signing here and there. Pretty sure if Neymar hadn't gone to PSG and fucked up the Mbappe move for us, then we'd definitely spend around the same to bring him to Madrid.

But that 70 million Liverpool got is the market pool as well as prize money, correct? English clubs get more because their tv market pool is bigger.

It is changing from next season of course as tv money will be distributed more evenly as well as bigger clubs with historical success getting more.

Andrew M

Real would and have tried to spend more than 100m.

When they need big name players they will pay for them.

The reason towards more youth is that have not needed big name first team signings for most part not some radical shift in approach.

But that's my point; in their minds, by buying the best young players in the world they won't need to spend big on galacticos as the best will already be in white. Half their team is already made up of players they got young like Marcelo, Ramos, Varane, Carvajal, Casemiro, Isco, Asensio.

They are preparing for a future where they can't compete with PSG in the market.

JamDav1982

But that's my point; in their minds, by buying the best young players in the world they won't need to spend big on galacticos as the best will already be in white. Half their team is already made up of players they got young like Marcelo, Ramos, Varane, Carvajal, Casemiro, Isco, Asensio.

They are preparing for a future where they can't compete with PSG in the market.

Dont agree and think they will compete with money when need to and think they will go big for Neymar/Mbappe.

Bit much to claim they are signing the best young players in the world.

They are gambling big money on signing some of the players with a lot of potential just now.

Can see over next few years how they go in market and how these young players turn out.

Andrew M

Dont agree and think they will compete with money when need to and think they will go big for Neymar/Mbappe.

Bit much to claim they are signing the best young players in the world.

They are gambling big money on signing some of the players with a lot of potential just now.

Can see over next few years how they go in market and how these young players turn out.

Neymar and Mbappe are locked in gilded cages. Impossible. It would require half a billion investment

I'm not necessarily saying that they have got the best youth. I'm saying that is their mentality.

Icarium

Lifestealer
They just had a really good team and didn't find the necessity to spend. Zidane had little more control than other coaches too. If they could they will sign both Neymar and Mbappe. But they can't that is the market situation right now.

Andrew M

They just had a really good team and didn't find the necessity to spend. Zidane had little more control than other coaches too. If they could they will sign both Neymar and Mbappe. But they can't that is the market situation right now.

"We know very well that the international footballing landscape has changed in a dizzying way and we must adapt and face up to this new reality," the Real Madrid president said.

"We must also not forget the important contribution of our youth set-up in the first team, which, as we all know, is one of the key parts of our identity.

"I said a few days ago that we would strengthen our squad with magnificent players and that's what we're doing, [Alvaro] Odriozola is one, and so is Vinicius.

"We will put our faith strongly on the young talents that one day want to be the best in the world.

"That's why Real Madrid are intensely strengthening the process of looking for young players."

Trickykid

There are rumors floating around that RM are about to offer 80m for Valencia's Rodrigo.
I would love (well, I would probably hate it, to be honest) to see the meltdown in here, if it was us getting involved with someone like that.

KingLeo10

also, the state of RM's transfer business post CR7 sale should be a nice wake-up call to those who fantasize about seeing Messi leave to join City or whoever else. Reality is there's a lot more money in football than there was 10-15 years ago and while RM, barca are historical clubs, it is ultimately money that dictates all. and RM, barca are no longer able to bully clubs on this matter.

that said, 222 M for neymar is the exception. fantastic business :messi:

Home of Barca Fans