Real Madrid

Deco 20

Scandinavian 101
Tbh they did very well except for the first 20 minutes, but they lacked someone to finish. Could've scored 5-6 goals with better finishes

Banana-Rama

I've defended La Liga in the past but it's clear as day now how far the standards have fallen, particularly this year. How can a team that was supposed to be sixth in La Liga (Rayo) actually show such an alarming lack of quality????This, despite the fact that they were playing against 10 men for 70+ minutes, most of whom had actually played a mid-week game. Rayo barely created any goal-scoring chances at all. You expect more from a team that is actually challenging for a Europa League spot, you can talk about psychology all you want but the fact of the matter is that Rayo are just a very mediocre side. Last season, Rayo finished 15th, just a couple of points off relegation and now they are in the top 6 or 7. Unless I'm missing something, I don't remember this club making any big investment in the summer either.

We can go on and on about Tito's record-breaking season but the fact of the matter is that most of it has come against vastly inferior teams in a struggling La Liga. the League was of better quality when Pep took charge.I find it' hard to believe when some one here says that La Liga is on an upwards trend, it's the opposite from where i'm looking.

the best talents in la liga that don't get picked up by barca/madrid are mostly going abroad now, it is inevitable that the quality of the league below the top 2/3 will take a hit as a result, isco will be next out of la liga if barca/madrid don't fancy him.......

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
I didn't see English champions doing much better job vs. Real than number of mid table Liga teams. ;)

Real can dominate any club (except Barca) on their day but they also can slip vs. relegation candidates. So you could argue there's been more proof that La Liga is strong. Also see Atletico on 3rd spot.
Focusing on one Rayo match proves nothing.

Banana-Rama

I didn't see English champions doing much better job vs. Real than number of mid table Liga teams. ;)

Real can dominate any club (except Barca) on their day but they also can slip vs. relegation candidates. So you could argue there's been more proof that La Liga is strong. Also see Atletico on 3rd spot.

i am just looking at the number of quality players leaving la liga more then anything else, particularly spanish players, mata, silva, cazorla, de gea, michu, azpilicueta, monreal, llorente, martinez to name a few, it is becoming a trend that the best players that don't get picked up by barca/madrid are moving to other leagues which means the gap between barca/madrid and the rest is getting bigger, sure atletico have held onto second place this season but they'll be losing falcao at the end of the season, probably to madrid, which will see them falling behind madrid again........

Last edited:

Irish_Cules

While financial issues, clueless organisers and increasingly match attendance figures are big problems in La Liga, there is still a high standard of football. The footballing culture, consistent good quality of player development and good scouting systems will see La Liga maintain this high standard of football despite all of its problems. Of course these could be affected if these problems are let get out of control but I still think La Liga has a solid enough foundation to consistently produce various teams who will challenge in the Champions League (predominantly Barca and Madrid of course) and the Europa League.

hellsangel1

It's not just one Rayo match that I am focusing on, it's just a microcosm of the decline in quality that I'm witnessing, particularly this season. I saw Real Sociedad, who are 6th in La Liga, go to the Bernabeau and concede 3 goals while playing with a man advantage for much of the game. I mean, these are teams that are competing for a European place, yet they can't seem to do shit while playing with a man advantage for the vast majority of the game. With the financial situations of clubs like Valencia (worst team they;ve put out in recent memory), Malaga (who will not be able to retain Isco) and Atletico Madrid (the inevitable departure of Falcao will have a considerable effect).....I don't see the immediate future of La Liga being a very bright one. Certrainly I don't see La Liga being able to maintain the high standards they've set in the past.

And I wouldn't say that Man Utd didn't do a better job than a number of mid table Liga teams. United in the second half, actually had the better chances and defended a heck of a lot better than most Liga teams do when playing at Bernabeau. Madrid looked demoralized and out of ideas at the end of the match and for all their possession didn't really create many goal-scoring opportunites.

Last edited:

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo
It's not just one Rayo match that I am focusing on, it's just a microcosm of the decline in quality that I'm witnessing, particularly this season. I saw Real Sociedad, who are 6th in La Liga, go to the Bernabeau and concede 3 goals while playing with a man advantage for much of the game. I mean, these are teams that are competing for a European place, yet they can't seem to do shit while playing with a man advantage for the vast majority of the game. With the financial situations of clubs like Valencia (worst team they;ve put out in recent memory), Malaga (who will not be able to retain Isco) and Atletico Madrid (the inevitable departure of Falcao will have a considerable effect).....I don't see the immediate future of La Liga being a very bright one. Certrainly I don't see La Liga being able to maintain the high standards they've set in the past.

And I wouldn't say that Man Utd didn't do a better job than a number of mid table Liga teams. United in the second half, actually had the better chances and defended a heck of a lot better than most Liga teams do when playing at Bernabeau. Madrid looked demoralized and out of ideas at the end of the match and for all their possession didn't really create many goal-scoring opportunites.

By that logic, how did Getafe, Real Betis, Sevilla, Malaga, or Granada beat Real Madrid? This season, la liga is more competitive than ever. You can't just take a few results against Real Madrid and claim that it's the trend. If anything the new impending tv deal and new youth policies at many la liga clubs ensure that the league is going on a rise within the next 5 years and many clubs will come out of debt.

La Liga's been pretty damn good this season IMO. Atletico and Malaga in particular have been doing great. And it could be even better in the following seasons if Malaga's owners are willing to spend. Not to mention that if they sell Falcao, Atletico can use the money to strengthen their overall squad. And they might even manage to keep Falcao since they're in a CL spot.

Last edited:

Banana-Rama

La Liga's been pretty damn good this season IMO. Atletico and Malaga in particular have been doing great. And it could be even better in the following seasons if Malaga's owners are willing to spend. Not to mention that if they sell Falcao, Atletico can use the money to strengthen their overall squad. And they might even manage to keep Falcao since they're in a CL spot.

Atletico need world class players like Falcao to compete with the top two, not more squad players, losing Falcao to madrid will send them down the table rather then up..........

Atletico need world class players like Falcao to compete with the top two, not more squad players, losing Falcao to madrid will send them down the table rather then up..........

They might also be able to get a decent replacement for Falcao. And I don't think they're gonna sell Falcao to Real, it seems more likely to me that he'll go to Chelsea. My point is, if they use that money well, they may be able to get away with losing Falcao, either by strengthening the overall team or by getting a decent replacement for Falcao (the first is more likely).

hellsangel1

By that logic, how did Getafe, Real Betis, Sevilla, Malaga, or Granada beat Real Madrid? This season, la liga is more competitive than ever. You can't just take a few results against Real Madrid and claim that it's the trend. If anything the new impending tv deal and new youth policies at many la liga clubs ensure that the league is going on a rise within the next 5 years and many clubs will come out of debt.

Anybody that saw most of those matches really saw a Madrid side that,especially away from home has been largely unmotivated with a poor work ethic. If you think this is the same Madrid side that broke records last season than I really don;t know what to tell you. And to suggest that 'La liga is more competitive than ever' is absolutely laughable. That is a sentiment that won't get much currency outside of this forum and you don't have to be some kind of an EPL fanboy to see that (and I;m definitely not a Premier league fan).

Semi-Neutral

Sir Alupp Heynrguson
Anybody that saw most of those matches really saw a Madrid side that,especially away from home has been largely unmotivated with a poor work ethic. If you think this is the same Madrid side that broke records last season than I really don;t know what to tell you.

In what league do low tier teams regularly beat world-class teams who break records? Sure, there might be a few upsets, but overall the better teams have, you know, a better record against low level teams?

hellsangel1

Atletico losing Falcao will have a similar effect as to the one Arsenal have had losing Van Persie. It's not going to make the team stronger. And let's not kid ourselves, the main reason Atletico are in second place is due to Madrid players being crappy for the most part this season due to lack of motivation/drive to retain the crown.

Last edited:

hellsangel1

In what league do low tier teams regularly beat world-class teams who break records? Sure, there might be a few upsets, but overall the better teams have, you know, a better record against low level teams?

But surely teams that are challenging for European spots actually display more quality especially when they are playing with a man advantage for the vast majority of the game. You think United would get away playing with a man down for 70 or 80 minutes against the 6th ranked team in PL????and that too after having played a mid-week game.

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans