Real Madrid

Vilarrubi

Half of this forum said that Jovic is better than Suarez and that we were idiots for not signing him.

Banging goals, creating, linking up, scoring with feet and head.
A mix of Pele, Messi and CR7.
But slightly better than them.

People need to chill with these types of players, one season wonder in the Bundesliga. Not saying he will succeed or fail in La Liga but the hype these sorts of players get is insane. Probably the fact that Madrid signed him added to that.

BBZ8800

People need to chill with these types of players, one season wonder in the Bundesliga. Not saying he will succeed or fail in La Liga but the hype these sorts of players get is insane. Probably the fact that Madrid signed him added to that.

I have wrote, during the last 30 years, a success rate of (foreign) young players at Barca is iirc 20% of lower.

And in the past, we were buying players who actually had 2-3-4 good seasons at France, Portugal and similar.
Today, clubs are forced to buy players who had only 1 good season, which means that a risk is even higher.

So, Jovic, Malcom, Dembele, Vinicius, Rodrigo and similar.
Statistically, less than 1 will reach expectations.

Looking at these 5 names, I am not sure whether even 1 of them will reach expectations.
Stats were right again.

Vilarrubi

I have wrote, during the last 30 years, a success rate of (foreign) young players at Barca is iirc 20% of lower.

And in the past, we were buying players who actually had 2-3-4 good seasons at France, Portugal and similar.
Today, clubs are forced to buy players who had only 1 good season, which means that a risk is even higher.

So, Jovic, Malcom, Dembele, Vinicius, Rodrigo and similar.
Statistically, less than 1 will reach expectations.

Looking at these 5 names, I am not sure whether even 1 of them will reach expectations.
Stats were right again.

It's true, luckily for them they spent 60m Jovic, 45m on Vinicius and 45m on Rodrygo so much less risk. We spent 130m on Dembele lol

Andresito

Staff member
It's true, luckily for them they spent 60m Jovic, 45m on Vinicius and 45m on Rodrygo so much less risk. We spent 130m on Dembele lol

Well we signed Dembele a week before the window closed, desperately looking for a Neymar replacement. Dortmund had all cards in their hands and played us good.

Poor_Sunyol

In Lucho we trust!
Well we signed Dembele a week before the window closed, desperately looking for a Neymar replacement. Dortmund had all cards in their hands and played us good.

That isn't strictly true. We scouted Dembele for two years and had enquired about him previous to our eventual purchase. Sure Dortmund got as much as they could for him knowing that we were cash rich after the Neymar sale but to say it was a panic buy is simply 'false news'.

BBZ8800

Our sporting director Robert was the worst predictor ever.

He bought Denis, Gomes, Paco, Digne, Dembele iirc.
And Umtiti.

Success rate 1/6.
And Semedo who is braindead in attack, so his success is 50:50.

BarcaOG

Banned
Other than the rest of your post which I can somewhat understand.

This is nonsense. He is handling it very well despite both being unfit for purpose and/or surplus to requirements on these positions.

I disagree. As manager he should aim to get the best out of his players, not de-moralize them and ostracize them to the point that they no longer care (Bale). It is the same with Vinicius and Reguilon: promising talents that he has all but discarded. That's bad man management.

James is still a quality player than can bolster any squad. Why simply throw that away? I don't agree with Roncero on much, but I do on his insistence that Zidane not discard what he has available.

I mean, really: why is Zidane so stubbornly attached to Marcelo when it is obvious to anyone that he is in decline, yet totally unwilling to even give James a chance? It's as baffling as Valverde's love for Rakitic. I don't think that's good man management.

El Gato

Villarato!
I disagree. As manager he should aim to get the best out of his players, not de-moralize them and ostracize them to the point that they no longer care (Bale). It is the same with Vinicius and Reguilon: promising talents that he has all but discarded. That's bad man management.

James is still a quality player than can bolster any squad. Why simply throw that away? I don't agree with Roncero on much, but I do on his insistence that Zidane not discard what he has available.

I mean, really: why is Zidane so stubbornly attached to Marcelo when it is obvious to anyone that he is in decline, yet totally unwilling to even give James a chance? It's as baffling as Valverde's love for Rakitic. I don't think that's good man management.

Sticking up for Bale? Haha. Dude is the least passionate footballer on this planet. He plays the game because he is obliged to by the contract and because he likes to keep fit. He's done it all on the club stage, he's resorted to playing golf. Not him, not Lopetegui, not Solari managed to get anything out of the guy and he had mood swings dating well back to Ancelotti. He can go rot at home if his performance so heavily depends on which side of the bed he rolls out of in the morning.

James is a weird one, but I don't see what Zidane has done wrong here. It was clear since 2016/17 that James is a #10 who really needs to play behind strikers. He lost the spot when Isco went 'God-mode' that season and rightfully seeked playing time elsewhere, knowing he'd not get it especially with Madrid still having to shoehorn BBC minutes in a rotation of a balanced 4-3-3 and a diamond.

There is nothing you can do with James in Madrid if we're not playing the diamond. In fact the club have done pretty well trying to find the best solution for both parties while also assigning him a squad number instead of outright saying he'll rot in the stands. Asensio injury frees up a spot for him & Bale to occupy. So no, he's not nearly ostracized, but he still is a #10 in a team that doesn't play with #10s any longer.

Marcelo is also a bad example, because his touch is still great and is actually looking quite sharp this preseason on the ball.

Home of Barca Fans