FIFA Ballon d'Or 2012 winner?

Who should win the 2012 FIFA Ballon d'Or award?

• Andrea Pirlo

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Xabi Alonso

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Karim Benzema

• Xavi Hernandez

Votes: 7 5.0%
  • Sergio Busquets

Votes: 9 6.4%
  • Iker Casillas

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • Cristiano Ronaldo

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • Didier Drogba

Votes: 3 2.1%
  • Radamel Falcao

• Zlatan Ibrahimovic

• Andres Iniesta

Votes: 12 8.6%
  • Leo Messi

Votes: 98 70.0%
  • Mesut Ozil

• Wayne Rooney

• Robin van Persie

• Total voters

Deco 20

Scandinavian 101
yeah Drogba wasn't that good in EPL last season, but he won CL almost by himself, just like Kaka did in 06/07 with Milan and he was awarded both Ballon d'or and fifa player of the year 2007.

Yeah, but there were several other players from the two finalists who did as well as him, if not better. Gomez, Ramires, Ribery, Cech etc

And Falcao scored a brace in the EL final and a hattrick in the European Super Cup

Not to mention that all of those players had better league seasons

FCBarca

Mike the Knife
5344.A5KyFO6CEAA_2D002D00_fF.jpg

abual3bed1

Yeah, but there were several other players from the two finalists who did as well as him, if not better. Gomez, Ramires, Ribery, Cech etc

And Falcao scored a brace in the EL final and a hattrick in the European Super Cup

Not to mention that all of those players had better league seasons

sadly EL form doesn't count for many reasons, I mean look at Falcao's season in 10/11, a triple titles and no mentioned his name. That what happens when you play in a less competitive league, and the same is happening now for Ribery and Gomez. And no doubt it'll be Leo or CR to win in it and do unjustice for many players who deserve to be up there, specially non strikers. there should be like a ballon d'or for each position on the pitch.

Deco 20

Scandinavian 101
sadly EL form doesn't count for many reasons, I mean look at Falcao's season in 10/11, a triple titles and no mentioned his name. That what happens when you play in a less competitive league, and the same is happening now for Ribery and Gomez. And no doubt it'll be Leo or CR to win in it and do unjustice for many players who deserve to be up there, specially non strikers. there should be like a ballon d'or for each position on the pitch.

The way I see it Messi and CR7 are definitely worthy of top 3 finishes, and they should probably occupy the top 2 positions too, since they're the best in the world and have outperformed the other competitors on a personal level.

adil_909

nobody else thinks casillas deserves the award for leading madrid and spain to glory? his leadership and talent was a huge factor in both of them winning what they did.

footyfan

Calma, calma
nobody else thinks casillas deserves the award for leading madrid and spain to glory? his leadership and talent was a huge factor in both of them winning what they did.

So you're saying Casillas needs to win the Ballon D'Or because he's the captain of Spain and Madrid? May I remind you Ballon D'Or is the award for Best Player of the Year.

Forget about Messi and Ronaldo, in my opinion, even Ramos and Alonso deserve it more than him simply because they were more influential in Spain and Madrid winning.

Ursegor

World Champion
No, they're just biased.

Really? This is from a neutral Manchester United board from various members:

you know i've never got the casillas hype, i realise i'm in the minority here so i'm rarely overlly critical of him but he's probably the luckiest goalie i've ever seen, the amount of times i've seen him push balls into dangerous areas but not be punished is amazing, he practically never catches a ball and despite clearly being a confident bloke he never seems totally in control to me, he wanders a bit too much for my liking too and relies on his speed/reflexes (which tbf are top notch) to make up for being a step or two out of position. DDG actually reminds me of him in many ways which doesn't fill me with confidence.

Buffon is still the worlds no.1 imo, the most important aspects for a goalie are positioning and decision making, buffon is always in the right place and always makes the right call for me. I'd swap utds young gun for his old head in a heartbeat

1) Neuer
2) Casillas
3) Buffon

1. Buffon
2. Casillas
3. Neuer

Buffon.
Casillas.
Cech.

I find it hard to put Casillas at the top though. Aerially he's quite poor. The number of times he'll palm a ball out or punch it isn't good enough for the 'best keeper in the world', Hart should be up there, but his decision making can be poor at times. With crosses he often doesn't know whether he's coming or going, but in terms of shot stopping there are few better. He's brave, makes himself enormous and has great reflexes.

1) Buffon
2) Casillas
3) Neuer

Top 3 in order:

Buffon
Casillas
Neuer

Casillas although should be, is definitely over rated, always has been. Plays for big club, big nation and just walks into the "best keeper in the world" discussion regardless of form. He's had years of what Hart is getting now.

http://www.redcafe.net/f7/best-goalkeepers-world-moment-360781/

I didn't even have to pick some odd opinions. It's basically every 3th or 4th post.

There is a shitload of neutral fans which wouldn't even consider Casillas the best goalkeeper in the world right now, nevermind the best football player in the world who deserves a World Player Of The Year award. Casillas maybe might be the best goalkeeper in the world now but as you can see it isn't as clear cut as Madridistas want to convince themselves. You wouldn't find so many different opinions when it came to Messi, Xavi or Iniesta however. These 3 are universally regarded as the best in their respective positions and furthermore among the best in their respective positions of all time. Casillas is probably not even regarded as the best goalkeeper of the past decade. I'm sure Buffon, VDS and Kahn would get higher ratings than Casillas on a neutral forum. Despite Casillas having by far the better players infront of him than the aforementioned keepers and therefore won more titles on the biggest stages. Spain conceded 0 shots on target in the EC semi-finals. Real Madrid broke a goalscoring record in La Liga last season. Let's not pretend your goalkeeper was THE standout performer in such setups just because Madridistas don't have any other home grown players to relate to.

desoe

If I remember right, Casillas didn't even touch the ball in the final game of the tournament.

Robbie

I hope Pirlo wins it. Messi won it three times already and will probably have more than twice that number before his career is through. Pirlo had one hell of a season, and at an age most people thought he would decline.

Home of Barca Fans