Real Oviedo

impeh

Hi, its me..
€100,000 of shares bought by @realmadrid Fantastic. Gracias! #SOSRealOviedo

To clarify: RM have apparently paid for shares and ceded them to Oviedo council. Thus, no conflict of interest.

I... cant read the article :( :lol:

Last edited:

La Furia

Legion of Doooom
Wow, respect to Real Madrid for that.

I bought one whole share. I know they dug their grave in many ways, but if they learn from this experience I'll get to say I'm a shareholder in one of Northern Spain's most popular teams, worth it right?

Tembbi

Wow, respect to Real Madrid for that.

I bought one whole share. I know they dug their grave in many ways, but if they learn from this experience I'll get to say I'm a shareholder in one of Northern Spain's most popular teams, worth it right?

I feel like buying shares but it's a bit controversial. Once again, someone would help a team in Spain that actually have dug their own grave and deserve to go down.
I don't like saying the above... but it cannot continue this way.

Xtroverto

I like this one

Real Oviedo is an historic, respected and well-liked club

There was a time (15-20 years ago) when hooliganism and this club made it one of the least well-liked clubs in Spain, their fans causing much trouble all over the place. Something of a light version of Chelsea head hunters. I could dig up some no so positive articles about Real Oviedo and their traveling fans back in the days. Anyway, nice to see the club saved for the time being.

Last edited:

Raed

Dr. Raed St. Claire
No idea why they did but that was some unreal campaign. How did they convince people that didn't even know of the club to chip in is beyond me and from the figures written there they got a lot more than what they wanted. The hell? What did they end up making? 6 million?

La Furia

Legion of Doooom
No idea why they did but that was some unreal campaign. How did they convince people that didn't even know of the club to chip in is beyond me and from the figures written there they got a lot more than what they wanted. The hell? What did they end up making? 6 million?

Damn, you are even more cynical than me aren't you?

The management isn't trustworthy but most of this push was actually from the grassroots, from former players and fans (Sid Lowe especially campaigned relentlessly). This was social media use at its finest.

Actually the other people to thank are the talent poachers in England - Michu, Cazorla and Mata are far bigger in England than they ever were in Spain, and that gave them a media outlet to spread the message.

The timing is also right. Spain is in miserable shape, as is most of Spanish football, and a lot of people saw in the struggles of Oviedo the struggles of Spain, and I think it became a rallying point.

Will be interesting to see what happens, because as Sid Lowe points out 40% of the club is now owned by regular shareholders and not any one significant entity.

Also, I noticed this bit of snark in the comments that you Madridistas should appreciate:
As an aside, can't help but wonder how many fanboys would be having orgasms on here right now if it had been Barcelona that bought €100k and ceded it to the local council....

Raed

Dr. Raed St. Claire
Damn, you are even more cynical than me aren't you?

The management isn't trustworthy but most of this push was actually from the grassroots, from former players and fans (Sid Lowe especially campaigned relentlessly). This was social media use at its finest.

Actually the other people to thank are the talent poachers in England - Michu, Cazorla and Mata are far bigger in England than they ever were in Spain, and that gave them a media outlet to spread the message.

The timing is also right. Spain is in miserable shape, as is most of Spanish football, and a lot of people saw in the struggles of Oviedo the struggles of Spain, and I think it became a rallying point.

Will be interesting to see what happens, because as Sid Lowe points out 40% of the club is now owned by regular shareholders and not any one significant entity.

Also, I noticed this bit of snark in the comments that you Madridistas should appreciate:

Can't argue with that quote. It is so true.

Yes I was closely following the situation and it isn't about being cynical I was actually, although I may have not been clear about it, was commending the efforts put forth by the 'grassroots'. Sid Lowe filled up my TL and he did an amazing job but that bit about convincing Slim and Gonzales was what made me make that remark. Still, for a club to be in their position and to reach out to 60 different countries is incredible and best of yet worked, 3 folds.

Why did anyone choose RO over Unicef for instance? Why did anyone choose RO over the Red Cross/Crescent? Because Real Oviedo did a remarkable job in campaigning and by the club I include the fans. They reached out to people and made a point. Now I sure hope as hell that they make the best of it.

Barcadub

Could be in La Liga next season.

A win today would put them in the second automatic promotion place but it's incredible close from 2nd place to 12th even.

Crazy league.

ThwiX

Best midfielder around
Don't want them anywhere near La Liga. Another Madridista team that will bend over and guarantee RM 6 points before the league has even begun.

Home of Barca Fans