Daniel Alves

El Flaco

Full interview of Dani Alves' interview with Spanish newspaper ABC for a couple of days ago.

How is Juazeiro?

It's a small city, around 300.000 inhabitants, very hot (in the summer, it gets to 40°C) and far away from Brazil's biggest cities. But it's warm with it's visitors, and it's the land of many artists, writers and singers.

How was your life there?

I'm the youngest of 5 brothers. My mum was a housewife and my dad was a farmer. He had a farm in Salitre, 30 kilometers away from Juazeiro, where he would grow tomatoes, onions and melons. When I was 6, I would get up at 4 o'clock in the morning to go and help him. He taught me to be like I am; A happy man who loves life and what he does, even though sometimes it gets misinterpretated. My father isn't very expressive, but his way of living live is admirable. It doesn't matter whether he earns low or nothing.

That farm gave you food?

Juazeiro is a place that has extreme weather. Droughts and torrential rain, depending on the time of year. We were not always guaranteed a harvest. That's why we would also go out to hunt wild pigeon so that we would have meat on the table at home.

You were such survivors

It's true. Even at the cinema, we found some income. When I was 14, some of my brothers and cousins and myself were hired as extras in a film, Guerra dos Canudos it was called. They gave us food and we were paid 5 reales, which was a lot of money back then.

How did you start with football?

My father was an addict to football. When he was 30 years old, my dad formed a team (Palmeiras de Salitre) and he would take me along with them, even though I was only 10. Then I joined Esporte Clube Bahia, the club Sevilla signed me from.

Then you started an amazing career, with 5 seasons at Nervión and 8 seasons at Barcelona, which have given you 33 titles.

It's really beautiful, but like what Lightning McQueen (a character from the movie "Cars") said; They are just empty trophies. Winning many honours does not make you a better person, nor does it bring you happiness. It brings you a fake life.

Explain yourself.

One should wake up and fight for your objectives. But, once you’ve achieved them, you should throw them away and think about new challenges. I don’t enjoy momentary happiness. I like to work day-by-day and always be happy. That's why when I've won the CL, I didn’t take 300 pictures with the cup. It’s just a trophy.

I sense some disappointment.

It's because the world of football is very hypocritical. That's why I'm disappointed. Fame is rubbish. When I was a young boy, I would practice signing my autograph because I dreamed of being well known and signing autographs. But that is the mentality of a child, I didn't really know what it meant. Now I am famous, I have realized that people don't see famous people for who they really are. Football brings jealousy, hypocrisy, falseness and fake friendships.

Do the episodes of racism you've suffered influence your thoughts?

No, that's another topic. It doesn't affect me if somebody calls me 'negro'. I don't feel any different to anyone else. It only affects you if you let them do it. I don't hate anything. That's why I don't like the victim mentality, which you see quite a lot of in today's society. We have to give importance to things that actually matters.

But the racism topic is pretty important...

It is, but I think we've got to concentrate in the positive things. If people lived with the attitude "I don't care what people say to me", people would live better. There will be things in life that are not pleasing. It's inevitable. We live in a bitter, victimist society that gives way too many excuses for everything. We've got to be happier.

Are you happy?

Of course, that's what I have learn't from my father. Whatever happens, you've got to be happy.

Also in football?

As well, but I've got much more concerns.

For example?

I would have loved to be Formula 1 driver. I love driving and the adrenaline or a racing car.

And as a singer?

(Laughs) It's true that I sing a lot and people criticise me for it, but as we say in Brazil "who sings, scares away the evil" (it's a saying). It doesn't matter whether you sing bad or not, but sing. What matters is what you're trying to say, not the final product.

Is your life after football in the world of music?

For sure. I love music and football is my hobby. I'm sure that I was a singer in another life. When I was younger, we had a group and we even made our own instruments. My father worked in a club which contracted music bands. I have a brother who is a singer and have a production company in Brazil called Compongo. I songwrite myself. I help groups starting out, help them get recognition. When I retire, I'm going all-in in the music world. It's my passion.

What you don't like is the press...

It's not like that. Simply, I only don't like it when they invent things, manipulate things and create bad vibes. I am referring to the sports press in Madrid and Barcelona. They do "bar counter" journalism. Social media journalism. They only like gossips, and that's not the truth. They have to respect us. Behind each footballer, there's a human being. And they can't create hate between each other and our surroundings. My fights with Cristiano were all down to the press.

What really happened?

If people really knew how much admiration and respect I have for Cristiano Ronaldo... I will repeat that to make it absolutely clear. I have great respect for Cristiano Ronaldo, father of Cristiano Jr., son of Dolores and José, who God, in all his glory, loves. Everyone who talks to me about him say that he's a consumate professional. Then, CR7 is different, he was my rival and I had to compete against him. When I said that he was too much in the limelight, I meant it in a respectful way that when you win, everyone sings your praises but when you lose, you are attacked. And I think exactly the same way about Messi and Neymar. But my thoughts are not meant to be harmful. What happened is that the media twisted my words and sold it in a different way, saying that I was talking badly about Ronaldo and he believed it. That's why he didn't greet me at the 2015 Ballon d'Or. I don't need to talk about anyone to get into the newspapers. I have no ego.

Did you solve it?

Yes. I think that he matured about the topic. He realized that my words were being manipulated and in the first Clásico after that Ballon d'Or gala, he came up to me and greeted me. That was the end of the story.

Those who haven't made peace yet are the "Biris" (Sevilla fans) and Sergio Ramos.

It's a fragile topic. I don't like him being mocked and insulted, but you can't ask what you can't give. The problem is that, few days before moving to Real Madrid, Ramos declared eternal love for Sevilla and that is the root problem of the ire that the fans hold towards Ramos.. He's still hostage to those words. Ramos to be frank didn't achieve that much at Sevilla to not celebrate goals or to ask for forgiveness when scoring. I was there for 6 years and won plenty of titles.

Does Spanish football live more peaceful without Mourinho and Guardiola?

Mourinho's Madrid didn't know how to lose. They played dirty.

Did you play dirty with Barça?

I like to feel liked, and if I am not liked, I leave. Leaving on free was a classy hit. During my last 3 years, I kept hearing that I was on my way out, but the director never said anything to me about it to my face. They didn't respect me. They were false and very unpleasant. They only offered me the chance to renew my contract after the club was banned from signing by FIFA. That was when I signed a renewal with a break clause. Those in power at Barcelona right now have no idea how to treat their footballers properly.

Why did you join Juventus?

I wanted to leave my comfort zone and compete at a high level in a historical and winning club. Because I'm a winner and so is Juve. It's an institution, which has always something to teach. Always competes. I'm happy here and I have new and nice challenges with this team.

Like the CL, desired in Turin...

We've got the squad to go for it, no doubt. They’re very superstitious here though, so we say that quietly in order not to jinx it. Let’s take it a step at a time. First there’s Casillas’ Porto, then we’ll see what comes.

You've lived in Barcelona in the hottest days of the catalan independency movement. What do you think about it?

Contempt towards Catalonia from the entire country and political institutions is what has created this huge wave in the last few years. That's what I've felt during 8 years. That has provoked a closed feeling from the Catalans towards the rest of Spain, but it shouldn't be like that. They've received people from the country with love, even though they do it from suspicion and distrust. And I don't think that's good. There're people who go to Catalan independence marches but don't even know what it is. They follow the trend, follow the masses. Everyone involved has some sort of guilt. I'm always in the dialogue and consensus way. An independent Catalonia would be a mistake. If they seperate, both would lose. Together they're stronger.

http://www.abc.es/deportes/futbol/a...-y-falsas-amistades-201702200859_noticia.html

serghei

Playing great as a right side playmaker in Juve - Milan. Just gave a sweet assist with the ouside of his boot. I hope we won't play Juventus. Would hate to see us play against one of my favourite players and a Barca legend on top of that.

Better he takes out Madrid or Bayern.

F

FlaFCB

[tw]841770435360489472[/tw]

C66QiBmWYAA2JWh.jpg:large

MIXA

The passing network of other top teams always seems to be better organised than ours.

Our network usually looks like a complete mess.

ini4ever

"I don't want to play Barcelona. It would be too strange for me," Alves told beIN Sports.

"If I have to play Barca, I'd prefer it to be in the final."

Alves be like now : :staringpep:

Home of Barca Fans