Daniel Alves

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo
Rewind 1 month and everyone in the TAA thread was banging on about how he could reach Alves levels. Que verguenza. Justice for Dani

No one said that. I was one of the ones who started the discussion and said Trent was the best right back SINCE Alves, i.e since Alves left Barca and declined (though he's showing himself to be still near the very top even now).

Everyone in that thread including myself said TAA isn't and will likely never be comparable to Alves' legacy but he's the best RB in the world right now. Kimmich is a close 2nd but Trent is 20 years old and in a great position playing for one of Europe's best clubs and just had an incredible CL tournament being the best player in the Anfield comeback. Those 2 are the best RB's to emerge since Alves' prime years, ahead of Carvajal/Cancelo/etc.

FCBarca

Mike the Knife
No one said that. I was one of the ones who started the discussion and said Trent was the best right back SINCE Alves, i.e since Alves left Barca and declined (though he's showing himself to be still near the very top even now).

Everyone in that thread including myself said TAA isn't and will likely never be comparable to Alves' legacy but he's the best RB in the world right now. Kimmich is a close 2nd but Trent is 20 years old and in a great position playing for one of Europe's best clubs and just had an incredible CL tournament being the best player in the Anfield comeback. Those 2 are the best RB's to emerge since Alves' prime years, ahead of Carvajal/Cancelo/etc.

Agreed. Alves, particularly prime Dani sits at a table by himself and agree that Trent is probably the best in the world atm - I've been saying since early this past season that the pair of him & Robertson are the best pair of two way FBs in world football. No other pair come close IMHO

Dani, however, continues to be a legend

fergus90

Get him back, he still has plenty to offer. Yes not his peak peak level anymore but he'd still be a massive upgrade on Roberto.

CatalinR10

Actually whenever he played for us i kept on wondering how can this guy have such amazing stamina ? You saw him in attack and a few seconds later in deffence intercepting a ball and seconds later in the attack again.

Absolute insane genetics.

He had his share of bad games in his last year at Barca but in hindsight we should have never let him go.

A 40 yo Alves would have a better overall season than a 25 yo Roberto.

Zidane82

Get him back, he still has plenty to offer. Yes not his peak peak level anymore but he'd still be a massive upgrade on Roberto.
Plus he fits in so well with Messi and Neymar

Seriously Neymar and Alves back in the team and we may just survive another season with Valverde at the helm ..

Devils

He's still better than Bumberto, you can't debate that.

All that Bumberto has on him is stamina, which is to be expected as he is nearly 10 years younger. But even playing Alves for 45 min every game would be a big upgrade in our RB position.

But that's under the assumption that EV wouldn't ruin him either.

SMH

Leo_Messi

One good game against a mediocre Argentina team means nothing in the wider picture. Alves is way past it and won't get any better. I recently saw a statistic that showed that PSG are performing significantly better when Alves is not playing.

D90GKTUXoAA2_H0.png:large

Signing him would be absurd. What is next? Shall we sign a 36 year old Suárez as a substitute in 3 seasons time once he has a decent performance for Uruguay against Chile or Brazil?

Not to mention that we would have "club de amigos" to the extreme. It is already bad enough with Neymar returning. We don't need his old 36 year old and past it buddy as well.

Don't get me wrong, Alves is/was one of my favorite players in his prime but this is not 2009-2015 anymore.

Last edited:

Leo_Messi

One good game against a mediocre Argentina team means nothing in the wider picture. Alves is way past it and won't get any better. I recently saw a statistic that showed that PSG are performing significantly better when Alves is not playing.

D90GKTUXoAA2_H0.png:large

Signing him would be absurd. What is next? Shall we sign a 36 year old Suárez as a substitute in 3 seasons time once he has a decent performance for Uruguay against Chile or Brazil?

Not to mention that we would have "club de amigos" to the extreme. It is already bad enough with Neymar returning. We don't need his old 36 year old and past it buddy as well.

Don't get me wrong, Alves is/was one of my favorite players in his prime but this is not 2009-2015 anymore.

Forgot to write that I would only like to see us sign Alves on a free if

1) His wages will be reasonable.

2) On a 1 year contract with possibly an opportunity for a second season depending on his performances at the most.

3) If one of Roberto (not going to happen) or Semedo (much more likely) is sold.

4) He will accept sitting on the bench in many games.

However ideally you don't sign a has-been. I was never overly convinced by Semedo but on the other hand I would want Semedo to be given continuous playing time (90%+ of the playing time when ready) for me to judge his future at the club. Roberto has no business playing as a right back.

Last edited:

Andrew M

Barca are fucking idiots if they don't re-sign him if the opportunity presents itself. He's still a top 5 RB in the world and has some insane offensive performances even at this age. He would be a much needed source of energy/creativity/ball progression on the right flank and help get Messi more involved.

We weren't losing 3-0 and 4-0 in CL away games until Alves left and Roberto became a starter. That's not the main reason but it's a pretty significant one. Alves against Liverpool would've made a huge difference.

What about the 23rd April 2013

Home of Barca Fans