Daniel Alves

Stric

But that doesn't erase the fact that Dani has been making that exact same kind of defensive error the whole season.

hellsangel1

Oh, I didn't mean to say he did a good job at marking, but he was indeed taking care of Al Sharawy, if he had been watching Muntari then Stephan would have been able to shoot... Look how every single player in our defense line was out of position in that goal...

I find it amazing that people are blaming Dani Alves for the second goal. The lack of defensive knowledge here is astounding. Are these the same people that were referring to an undersized former DM as a 'beast' at CB just before this season and wanted him to play that position for Argentina??

The fact of the matter is that if he didn't go over to cover Sharawy than Sharawy has a clear sight and shot at goal. The second goal is definitely not Danny's fault. It's a fault of our other defenders all of him get completely sucked over to one side of the pitch and one of the biggest culprits was Xavi for that second goal. Muntari was behind him and his run goes completely untracked. Xavi was caught ball-watching and had no sense of the guy behind him making the run. Danny was probably the only one that did the right thing and was in the right position for that goal.

Alves was at fault for the first goal because he gives a silly and needless free-kick. I have no idea what the hell he was trying to do by going in there recklessly.

Last edited:

hellsangel1

El Sharawy couldn't shoot because he was marked. That's why he passed left, where Dani was nowhere to be seen.

Yes, he was marked by Alves otherwise he would have had a free shot at goal from an even better position. What was Dani supposed to do??? Cover Muntari and leave Sharawy to shoot???

DennyCrane

The fact of the matter is that if he didn't go over to cover Sharawy than Sharawy has a clear sight and shot at goal. The second goal is definitely not Danny's fault. It's a fault of our other defenders all of him get completely sucked over to one side of the pitch and one of the biggest culprits was Xavi for that second goal. Muntari was behind him and his run goes completely untracked. Xavi was caught ball-watching and had no sense of the guy behind him making the run. Danny was probably the only one that did the right thing and was in the right position for that goal.

Danis' mistake wasn't that he marked SES but that the positioned himself too far away from him, giving SES enough time to receive the ball and pick the pass. By the time SES can receive the ball without hindrance, it's already over for Dani since he can't mark both SES and Muntari.

If he had positioned himself closer to him, ideally at an angle to block the direct pass direction to Muntari, nothing happens here. SES can't either shoot nor pass and instead either has to hold the ball or backpass, giving the defense precious seconds to regroup.
In fact, Muntari can be completely neglected in that situation as long as Pique covers the passing angle between Niang and Muntari.

That said, this isn't a major howler or anything especially since this was a whole chain of errors starting already in midfield, but it's still flawed positioning and completely exculpating Dani is just not going to happen. And the fact that he seems quite prone to such mistakes this season and opposition teams exploit it raises some valid questions.

Sergio16

Hi guys. I'm not sure if this article has already been posted elsewhere on the forum but in my opinion it confirms a comment I made last week for which I got slated by 1 or 2 guys. I suggested that Alves be sold for the sake of Montoya's progression. Montoya is certainly more defensively-minded than Alves and to have 2 (Alba & Alves) wing backs who prioritise attacking over defending will expose us the way we were last night. Hopefully Abidal will help patch this hole.

oz187

Puyol made the first major error in completely failing to challenge the attacker. Pique was a little slow in closing him down, and Alba was tentative in making the challenge, but it is in the box so being wary of giving a penalty would be a reason for them. Alves was marking Shaarawy, Muntari had nothing to do with him. He did stand off Shaarawy though, he could have been tighter. Maybe he thought being close, Shaaraway could maybe turn past him sharply for a shot, or run past him for any cross or chip forward. So standing off, he was able see and react and close him down for any shot, in this he suceeded. What he didn't account for was Muntari running into the box completely untracked. The primary blame on this goes to Xavi.

oz187

Brilliant cross by Dani for the goal by Villa. He gets a lot of flak for wayward crosses but that's a bit unfair. His crossing style is to whip the ball in with pace and curl, it's a high risk strategy which can go wrong, but when it goes right it's almost a certain goal.

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo
He slacks off at defending yet goes way over the top in attack and often neglects the normal way a fullback operates. He runs into the middle instead of overlapping the winger and therefore pedro/alexis get isolated.

Barca8

I appreciate everything Dani has done for the club but I think we should make whatever cash we can on him now.
Montoya looks great whenever he plays, provides great cover in defense and the only way he'll progress is more time with the senior squad.

Jordi Alba is our new Dani Alves, bombing forward and contributing in attack. Alba also gets back and defends really well like Alves used to. We can't play with Alba & Alves because we'll get destroyed on the counter. Something that didn't happen when we had Abidal & Alves. Montoya will bring the balance and cover to allow Alba to do what he does best.

barcanuck

Seriously you guys let me down? You guys see that he just needs a left back to actually stay home like Abi used to for him to be effective. He is the best attacking full back since Robert Carols and Cafu. Still has years of this in him, we just have to leave 3 capable defenders home to cover.

Barca8

Seriously you guys let me down? You guys see that he just needs a left back to actually stay home like Abi used to for him to be effective. He is the best attacking full back since Robert Carols and Cafu. Still has years of this in him, we just have to leave 3 capable defenders home to cover.

You're definitely right about Dani Alves and all his accomplishments. I was merely stating that we can't play with Alves & Alba. One will always have to sit for us to have a strong defense. Montoya also deserves more time in matches too

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo

The problem is Alba is better at attacking than Alves is (at least now) and is also a better defender. Montoya covering Alba like he did for Alves would be even more effective and useful than what we saw today considering how potent our attack has been up the left side this season. If we play both attacking fullbacks we're screwed as both are limited in attack somewhat and we get absolutely destroyed on the counter.

Home of Barca Fans