8 - Hristo Stoichkov

Evil

Shabazz
stoichkov_RETRATbo.jpg

Personal information
Full name Hristo Stoichkov Stoichkov
Date of birth February 8, 1966 (1966-02-08)
Place of birth Plovdiv, Bulgaria
Height 1.78 m (5 ft 10 in)
Playing position Striker

Playing style
Stoichkov played as a left attacker/winger. He was known for his explosive acceleration and speed dribbling, and for taking unpredictable shots on goal. He was also notable at taking free kicks and penalties as well as being among the best crossers in the world at his prime.

Barcelona
As part of Johan Cruijff's 'Dream Team', Stoichkov helped Barcelona to the most successful era of the club, winning the Primera Division four years in a row between 1991 and 1994 and the UEFA Champions League after defeating Sampdoria in 1992. During his stay in Barcelona, he had become an idol for the club's fans, and was Barça's most popular player at the time, having earned a place in the supporters' hearts much like Johan Neeskens and Diego Maradona in the past.

In his first season with the club Stoichkov was suspended for two months for stomping on a referee's foot, but he still netted 14 league goals and six more in the UEFA Cup Winners' Cup.

In 1994 he was named European Footballer of the Year after leading his national side to the 1994 World Cup semifinals.

In 1997 he helped Barcelona win the Spanish Super Cup, Copa del Rey and the UEFA Cup Winners' Cup.

Stats
Here are the statistics of his career at FC Barcelona, Years, Competition, apearances and goals respectively.

STOICHKOV.jpg

Honours
Spanish League: 1991, 1992, 1993, 1994, 1998
Spanish Super Cup: 1992, 1993, 1995, 1996
European Cup (now called: UEFA Champions League): 1992
European Super Cup: 1992, 1997
Copa del Rey: 1997
UEFA Cup Winners Cup: 1997

Last edited:

FCBNOF

Momo un Bello Uomo
Re: Hristo Stoichkov

Haha! i liked the fact that he stomped on the referees feet!

Gracias amigo!

M.L. King

The Preacher
Re: Hristo Stoichkov

Great player. One of the best actually. Remember how well he played for his national team as well.

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
Hristo recently talked for official FCB site and heaped praise on Samuel Eto.
I wish we found him some kind of role for Blaugrana, maybe as a scout for Balkans?

barSELOna

"Cruyff combines the qualities of the best coach in the world with the most stubborn character that I have worked with in professional football." Hristo Stoichkov

barSELOna

Mate he likes so much Cruyff
I dont remember very well but one day when the referee shoted Cruyff , Stoichkov stepped to the foot of referee

Home of Barca Fans