The CM Situation

The CM Situation

• Total voters

i_bleed_blaugrana

1. Break the bank on a world class CM signing this summer.

2. Sign a promising young CM for relatively cheap.

3. Sell a current MF for a World Class CM (elaborate with a post please).

4. Current CM situation is fine at least until January.

This has been bleeding into far too many other threads, so it's time a proper place was made for it. May the battle commence.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Won't happen this Summer. Insufficient funds.

Next year though, the club should seriously consider signing a World Class CM.

khaled_a_d

1. Break the bank on a world class CM signing this summer.
That isn't an option right now And it isn't even worth discussion tbh.We don't have the money to break the bank for.why discuss something we can't afford?
At best we can afford someone like Andre Gomes.He is good but he isn't worth breaking the bank.His fit into the team is questioned specially considering he plays a lot like Rakitc who might have his place into the starting line up for 3 or 4 more years.

2. Sign a promising young CM for relatively cheap.
That is an option,but who?Also we have Rafinha,Denis,Halilovic,Kaptoum,Alena and may be Samper too.not counting Roberto since we seem more interested in making him a RB
So we have too many prospects of our own who could develop and try to fit into the position.Yeah they aren't true CM but then again we aren't playing with true CM under Lucho anyway.
I mean if the club spotted someone who they feel he is surely way better than what we have then go for him.But the grass isn't always greener on the other side.people can right an essay about how those guys will never be Barca quality.but the truth is most discussed prospects have there own red flags too.After all it has been four years since PSG and Juve were able to snatch guys like Verratti and Pogba.Has anyone looked anything close to their level and was such a bargain?

3. Sell a current MF for a World Class CM (elaborate with a post please).
Again,how? People always love those magic solutions.But reality isn't always as simple
Yeah we would all love selling Arda for 25+ .but how many clubs are willing to pay for him? Does he want to leave either?
look,I am not counting out the possibility and in fact could see it happening late in the summer like Pedro.but if I try to be entirely objective the odds aren't in favor of it
As for who to buy,I don't see many true options right now.Only Pogba and we need to sell more than just Arda to afford him this season.

4. Current CM situation is fine at least until January.
It isn't perfect tbf,but it isn't bad.And I prefer keeping it this way rather than wasting the money.

Look,I understand where people who wants a WC CM joining us.but I think we have to look at the market.

Sometimes the market offer us a gr8 bargain.A player with low release clause or has exploded late in his contract and refused to renew.We had our fair share of success with Alba and Rakitic with this type of deals.
Sometimes you have to break the bank for someone worth it like Suarez and Neymar.

Obviously good scouting of players can do even better job,but let's remember that there has been only one Verratti in the past 4 years.

Personally I think going for "just" the best available possibility will lead us to another Arda & Vidal (though both need more time to really judge them)
That is my biggest fear of both RB & CM situation.If we just went desperate for upgrade we will go for the likes of Cancelo & Andre Gomes and instead of solving a problem create even more.
For me save the money even if Arda is sold for next transfer window and closely monitor our targets.See if Dahoud will continue to grow (seem he might be the perfect option for the future IMO) or if Neves will develop to a degree that his 40M buyout will look like a bargain along the likes of Weigl,Tielemans etc and obviously our own young players.

But right now,I just don't feel there is someone that surely we won't think about unloading next year in case he is signed this summer

Last edited:

Ahmedd

I think that we should wait till next summer to break the bank. And I know that it would be extremly hard but man... If we can get Verratti ! I don't know how Unay Emri wants to play , they just bought Krychowiak and if he goes with a 4-5-1 with two DMs (According to French TV this is probably how he will play), will he choose Verratti over Matuidi ?

Aryagorn

Improvin' Perfection!!
People would probably laugh at me for saying this but Bob's future is any where but CM, I think.... He would either be RB or RF paving way for Leo to transform completely into mid field

Mid field signing will wait.... At least till next year. Don, Busi, Rakitic, Rafinha, Denis and Samper would compete between themselves in MF. With Denis sometimes playing in the LF position.

I hope Arda is sold

Last edited:

Icarium

Lifestealer
Any team would kill for a midfield of Iniesta Rakitic and Busi midfield. Well balanced and incredibly amazing players. Having players like Denis, Roberto, Rafinha and Arda on the bench is good enough to challenge for all titles. Only midfield that might be better is Madrid's but even they lack a quality DM and it is far from well balanced. Casemiro did the job surprisingly well last season but what is the guarantee he will do the same again. He is an average player, who was just on super form last season.

Topolino

Gemusesuppe
We need to hope Denis and/or Samper and/or Rafinha improve and can start competing with the main XI. Otherwise, we'll not only need a world class cm signing in a year, we'll also need someone that can actually rotate because they deserve to play not because it's necessary to rotate and by god we hope they wont screw up.

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
We do have to give those youngsters a fair chance. Rafinha, Denis first and foremost. Samper will be loaned and Alena will play some cameos. Don't forget Roberto either. He is best suited in Rakitic role imo.

We'll be good imo. Never again as in Xavi-Iniesta days (that was just a glitch in universe) but still quite good.

Vilarrubi

Any team would kill for a midfield of Iniesta Rakitic and Busi midfield. Well balanced and incredibly amazing players. Having players like Denis, Roberto, Rafinha and Arda on the bench is good enough to challenge for all titles. Only midfield that might be better is Madrid's but even they lack a quality DM and it is far from well balanced. Casemiro did the job surprisingly well last season but what is the guarantee he will do the same again. He is an average player, who was just on super form last season.

It's true but they definitely need to start creating more, especially Rakitic, Leo was dropping back a bit too much last season to start attacks.

Nucky

I think we should break the bank but not this summer.. Iniesta needs to be replaced with WC midfielder.. But currently our midfield is solid (Rakitić-Busquets and Iniesta)..

Home of Barca Fans