Should Barca sign a defender?

Should Barca sign a defender?

• Total voters

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
Giuseppe Rossi, Alexis Sanchez and Cesc Fabregas caught the most attention from Barcelona sport papers this summer and it seems that the club is not keen on purchasing a defender.
There were some rumors about Jose Angel and Capdevila but it seems that neither will be joining pep's team.

Mascherano did a good job at the back and the club just announced that Fontas will be promoted. Are they enough to cover for Puyol-Pique duo or do we need to look elsewhere?

Yugi

Alves, Montoya (Guardiola will probably promote him next season), Pique, Puyi, Fontas, Adriano, Abidal (hope maxwell leaves) and also with busquets and mascherano able to play as CB I dont see reason.... and my bet is that Muniesa and Montoya are certain starters for CDR matches

impeh

Hi, its me..
depends on the abidal situation + maxwell

the fact masch was so awesome at CB last season makes me warm :wub:

Myrmecophile

Mr. Japes
RB: Alves/Adriano/Montoya
CB: Pique/Puyol/Abidal/Fontas/Bartra
LB: Abidal/Adriano/Maxwell

I presume Milito will leave since he's awful. That looks okay. I wouldn't be averse to getting another CB. Depends how ready we think Fontas and Bartra are.

rmpcsl

IMO Milito(injurie prone) and Maxwell(not have Barça class plus entering in 30's) will leave so Fontas was promoted and we should buy a new LB with the remaining money from Alexis/Cesc.
RB: Dani/Adriano
CB: Pique/Puyol/Abi/Masch
LB: Abi/Adriano
I'm supposing Fontas and Montoya will not play in the most important games so to 4 spots we will have 5 choises plus 1 adapted in Masch for 6 different competitions.... I think we need a good/young LB.
Plus if can have 7 experient players for 3 spots in midfield why have only 5 experient defenders for 4 spots (and Puyol dealing with injuries) just remember the troubles from last year.

Last edited:

Birdy

Its puzzling poll..
i think we should replace maxwell with another LB and sell Milito..
is that considered a yes or no at the poll?

Its puzzling poll..
i think we should replace maxwell with another LB and sell Milito..
is that considered a yes or no at the poll?

Guardian

Mascherano and Busquets are not reliable there, they can fill the gap for few games, but not for the entire season. The away game with Real Sociedad and Mascherano's error proves my point. His strength lies in midfield. Considering the condition of Abidal, I don't think he can carry out the entire season, and the ageing Puyol suffers from injuries quite often. I like Fontas though, but it's up to Pep. If he thinks he's ready and has the potential to be the next leader in defence, then he can save some money. But I prefer to see someone experienced there. Milito and Maxwell have to go.

bryangld27

We need a right back in case something happens to Alves. Whenever Alves is gone, Puyol does his job but he is finding it extremely hard to play right back. I'm surprised by how many left backs we have -.-

Barcafan 2304

Of course, we need to look at it in time but the reason i said no is because there is adequate cover for now and there are other priorities

tonca227

Sell Milito and Henrique. Buy Yaroslav Rakitsky or Mamadou Sakho for backup and Fontas can play in the weaker matches to gain experience.
Sell Maxwell and buy young, talented LB who will be ready for a year or two to replace Abidal.

Stoichkov

Alves, Montoya (Guardiola will probably promote him next season), Pique, Puyi, Fontas, Adriano, Abidal (hope maxwell leaves) and also with busquets and mascherano able to play as CB I dont see reason.... and my bet is that Muniesa and Montoya are certain starters for CDR matches

We sure do need a defender. Mainly a CB, but with no real cover at RB, a sub for Alves should also be looked at. Puyol is too old, too slow and now, injury prone. We need to have a solid #1 CB to accompany Pique. Although Abidal has played quite solidly at CB, he is a LB not a CB. Masche is not a CB, he is a defensive midfielder. He is not able to deal with headers in the box, he is too slow and loves getting into rash challenges (last thing Barca needs in the penalty box). Fontas and Montoya are in no way ready to play a starting role at CB...I wouldnt even risk subbing them in other than the very last minutes of games. Busquets is not nearly physical enough for CB, his technique gets him by in the middle but you cant afford to be playing too much football at the back. Adriano and Alves working the flanks = defending counter attack nightmare (particularly now with more and more teams playing with 11 behind the ball against us). Adriano is much better attacking than defending, lets be honest.

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans